Part 18

"You've got a plan...right?" Sakura questioned her superior as they walked away from the village gates. She had packed backpacks for them and the boys when they eventually would meet up with them. In the meantime, it meant she and Kakashi had to carry their weight in supplies as well which slowed them considerably. 

Kakashi hummed as he kept his eyes ahead. He wasn't the type of man to make a decision without a clear plan ahead but this wasn't a case of taking time to think. It was a matter of action and urgency. One of Danzo's best assassination teams were dispatched to end his students. His family. He couldn't sit aside and let it happen. 

He wondered back to the Hokage position offered to him a while ago and almost regretted not taking it then. This wouldn't be happening if he were Hokage but he wasn't. He couldn't hang on to the past. Decisions were made and now he had to stick to them.

That being said, he had no plan.

Kakashi opted for staying silent though as the pinkette's eyes drilled into his temple. 

"I see..." She mumbled before shifting her eyes around them, trying to keep her guard up. She wasn't sure how things ended with Tsunade and him but she could tell he wasn't happy with her. She only hoped Tsunade would have mercy on them when, if, they decided to come back.

Kakashi glanced at her "You can turn back if you want, Sakura" He said quietly. It wasn't fair of him to drag her along. He was sure he could help the boys on his own. Hell, he was almost sure they could handle themselves but it wasn't so much that worry as it was the principle of the matter. He couldn't and wouldn't leave his comrades behind. Not even for his village.

"I would never, sensei" Sakura smiled softly at the Jounin before frowning at the ground "I just wonder why Tsunade would let this happen but then I wonder if anyone else had been assigned as Hokage, would we be dead by now?" Sakura pondered the thought out loud.

Kakashi couldn't help but chuckle at her comment which gained him a confused expression. 

"I can assure you, none of you would be outside the village right now if Tsunade hadn't become Hokage." He stated with confidence.

Sakura tilted her head with a frown "How could you know?" 

Kakashi said nothing as he felt he had said too much already but Sakura caught on a moment later. His silence only fueling her curiosity and intelligence. 

"You were meant to be the next Hokage?!" She squealed with wide eyes.

Kakashi sighed but nodded. He took a chance to glance at the pinkette only to find her glaring daggers at him.

"Why didn't you!?" She snapped with frustration so very clear in her emerald eyes.

Kakashi hesitated to answer "The village isn't ready for me yet" He chuckled while rubbing the back of his head.

He knew it was the wrong answer for the young female but it was the truth. The villagers and elders would never have accepted him as their superior. 

Sakura struggled to calm down. If he had just taken the position, none of this would be happening and instead, they would be treated like royalty. Not that she wanted that...

Before Sakura could continue berating the older Jounin of his decision, the ground in front of them shook before opening up. The two came to a halt with their guards up but sighed in relief when they noticed Jiraiya's, or rather now Naruto's, messenger toad hopping out of the hole.

Sakura tilted her head at the toad. Coming out of a hole was a strange way to travel for a toad. They were more comfortable with water but she figured it could mean the boys weren't anywhere near water so the toad had to make do.