Part 22

The day of recognition had finally come for Naruto Uzumaki-Namikaze. His life-long dream of being acknowledged by the village was now a reality. As he walked through the streets of Konoha, citizens and shinobi alike greeted him with smiles and grateful thank you's. 

It was only natural for him to feel happy. Ecstatic even. The blonde walked through the village, on his way to see how Jiraiya was recovering when he came across Hinata. He could feel his cheeks heat up as he remembered her confession of love on the battlefield. No one outside his team had stood up for him in such a heroic way and he would surely never forget it.

"Hinata!" Naruto called as he ran up to her. She turned, startled, before smiling shyly at her childhood crush.

"Naruto-Kun" She greeted as she came to a standstill. 

"I wanted to say thank you" Naruto grinned down at her as he rubbed the back of his neck.

Hinata stared at him for a moment with surprise written clear on her features "It is really me who should thank you, Naruto-Kun". 

"Huh? If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have found the strength to continue the fight" Naruto explained with a sincere expression.

Hinata blushed deeply as she looked down "N-Naruto-Kun..." She muttered.

Naruto smiled softly down at her before it turned nervous "Hinata... Do you want to... ahem! D-Do you want to go on a...date? with me?" 

One wouldn't have thought it possible but Hinata turned a deeper shade of red than Naruto had ever seen. 

"I-I'd like that!" The purple-haired woman smiled brightly.

___

Kakashi, Sasuke, and Itachi stood in front of the elders of Konoha. More specifically, Danzo. 

Sasuke struggled to keep his anger in check as Kakashi and Itachi stood impassively, knowing all too well how to effectively suppress their emotions.

It seemed Danzo had gone behind Tsunade's comatose back by convincing the Fire Daimyo to temporarily assign him as the sixth Hokage.

"Let's address the topic we've all been avoiding. Konoha's safety and more specifically, the capture of Uchiha Itachi" Danzo spoke with malice clear in his tone as Root Anbu appeared behind the trio.

Sasuke glared at them whereas Itachi stood calmly, keeping his eyes on Danzo. Kakashi held the young Uchiha back as he tried to stop Root from taking his brother. 

"Might I remind you of his assistance in protecting the leaf during the attack?" Kakashi spoke up with a calm expression. 

"I hardly need to be reminded of his deeds, Kakashi-san." Danzo muttered with a glare "Furthermore, Team 7's recently suspicious behavior has led me to believe your loyalties are not entirely with the village" He continued.

This made Kakashi pause in his step "I don't understand".

"Your team left the village-"

"With permission from the Hokage!" Sasuke interrupted, a cold feeling washing over him as he thought about his fears of not being allowed back to the village when they had left.

"I am the Hokage now and the way I see it, Tsunade was too lenient on Team 7." Danzo snapped at the two before him "I hereby announce Team 7 ro-"

"Hold it right there, Danzo" A new voice joined the group. 

Everyone turned to see Jiraiya stepping into the office with a firm expression.

Danzo glared at the Sannin "I suggest you leave. This is not your business"

"It is. This team is Konoha's pride. They have constantly shown their loyalty and now you want to make an enemy of them?" The white-haired male shook his head in disbelief "I won't let that happen."