Part 6

Blood. Dirt. Sweat. The clear signs of battle. 

The scent of defeat hung in the air as decay latched to corpses. Team 7 arrived at the outer gates of the village, their first sight being the deceased bodies of civilians and shinobi alike. 

Sakura made quick work to analyze each body for a pulse whilst Sasuke scanned for those responsible. 

Naruto couldn't keep his eyes off the dead. His eyes splitting between Kurama's and his own as anger between the two were shared with a strong bond.

"Naruto" Sasuke called, his firm tone snapping the blonde away from the eyes of a dead civilian woman. 

"The others are up ahead. Gaara is not with them" The Uchiha relayed, being trained to cover his emotions - especially in times like these.

Naruto said nothing but glanced back at the woman, sending a silent prayer for her, before flashing away toward the chakra signatures of the others.

Sasuke soon followed but Sakura stayed behind, tending to the wounded she luckily found.

As the two stepped into view, they understood how hard their comrades really fought. Jiraiya was knocked out and with the way his skin was turning more purple by the minute, Sasuke could guess he didn't have long if he didn't receive urgent medical care.

Sai and Yamato were worn and torn. Their bodies looked as if they'd drop any second as they tried to stop the bleeding on multiple parts of their bodies. 

"Naruto!" The voice of Kankuro suddenly yelled, shifting everyone's attention to the two newest arrivals.

"Kankuro" Naruto muttered as he furrowed his brows. The male's makeup had been completely wiped off with smudges appearing on the corners of his eyes. His outfit was torn and evidence of his puppets lay across the ground.

"They took Gaara!" He teenage male exclaimed in desperation and anger.

Naruto nodded "I know, we are going  after him as soon as Sakura can get Jiraiya in a stable state" The blonde's leadership skills kicked in as he took note of the signs of agony on Kankuro's face.

He stepped up to the puppet-user and placed a firm hand on his shoulder "Now is not the time to let your emotions rule. This village needs you and your sister to help them heal. We will bring Gaara back. I promise" The determination in Naruto's eyes made Kankuro pause as he was about to refute his order.

He believed in Naruto. 

"You're right. Please...Hurry" Kankuro muttered before he reached for Jiraiya and picked him up "I'll get him set up at the hospital, I know a thing or two about poisons so I'll assist Sakura" He stated before nodding to the two and jumping away with the Sannin in his arms.

Naruto watched them go with concern pooling in his eyes. Sasuke's firm hand on his shoulder brought him back to reality as the blonde glanced at him. With a nod from the Uchiha, Naruto stepped toward Yamato and Sai.

"You put up quite a fight" Naruto complimented and as Yamato opened his mouth to dish out orders, Naruto continued "Which is why you'll be staying here and helping the village recuperate. Sasuke, Sakura and I will be going after Gaara." Naruto explained.

Yamato and Sai's jaws dropped wide "What! You're no match for them-" 

"Neither are you in this state" Sasuke muttered coldly. 

"It doesn't matter. I made a promise." Naruto sighed "Have the leaf sent backup?" He suddenly questioned.

Yamato raised a brow with suspicion in his eyes "They did...How did you-"