Chapter 3

Dewdrops POV

It was dark, and warm. Maybe warmer then it should be? She didn't know. Where am I? Oh, right. The cocoon. I'm just metamorphosing. No big deal— wait. I'm supposed to be sleeping. Surely it can't have been 5 days already, can it?

I wonder how Hawker is doing. I miss him. I hope he is okay.

Has it been 5 days? Am I supposed to come out?
In silk studies, the teacher said that if you wake up, then it's time to come out.

Okay then. I guess I'm coming out...

She pushed her talons against the silk, ripping and tearing at it. She hit her tail against the silk, and finally, finally, she broke free.
As the new surroundings appeared, Dewdrop had to squint her eyes against the brightness. What? She thought.

This could not be the cocoon, the cocoon was cool, and dark. This place was hot, bright, and honestly, really terrifying.

Silkwings were sitting on ledges, in small nests. Three had cauldrons underneath them, and were spinning bright orange silk into them.

Where am I?! What going on?! Oh. I should try out my wings!!
Slowly trying to spread her wings, Dewdrop felt immense pain in her back.

Twisting her head around, she saw, to her dismay, that instead of wings, she had half unwrinkled wing buds.

Oh no. Did I come out to soon? But why would I? I need to grow my wings. Will I ever be able to fly? Or spin silk?
Oh Hawker, Elfin. I don't know what's happening or where I am. Please, get me out of here!