Chapter 12

Dewdrop's POV

Dewdrop was surrounded by darkness. Cold black wings were smothering all light, and the stone felt eerily cold beneath her talons.

"Dewdrop!" She looked around, relying on her night-silk vision to guide the way.
"Over here!"

Dewdrop walked forward slowly until she bumped into GoldSpot.

"this way." GoldSpot lead her through the tunnel, until they bumped into a wall. She scooted a few feet to the left, until the wall opened up into another tunnel.

Dewdrop's wings fluttered. They had grown more over the last week, and now were full SilkWing wings. Though her silk had not came in yet.

Goldspot thought that she came out of her cocoon early, because she sensed something was wrong. Dewdrop wasn't sure what to think about her metamorphosis, so she didn't think about it much at all. Goldspot had said that she was pretty sure that she would be able to fly, and even gave Dewdrop a wing-check, which hivewings did for their dragonets.

Light was slowly starting to trickle in from somewhere, and Goldspot started walking quicker, more sure of where to step. Rushing to catch up, Dewdrop stepped out of the tunnel into a cave, and it almost took her breath away.

Crystals lined the walls, shimmering in shades of molten orange, and brilliant blue. Reds, and green, and pink crystals were smashed on the ground, like a broken rainbow. It then occurred to Dewdrop that the crystals couldn't have smashed themselves. Which meant...

"Goldspot." hissed Dewdrop.

"yes?" she asked, confused.

"were not the only ones here." she pointed to the broken crystals on the ground. "look. Someone - or something, has been here before."

"i don't like that thought." Goldspot growled. "i think we should hide."

"i think i agree with you." dewdrop said, nodding her head in agreement.

Goldspot flapped her wings, and settled on a spot near-ish to the ceiling, on a rocky ledge mainly out of view from the ground and the ceiling.

Dewdrop walked over to a large cluster of silvery crystals lining the wall, almost the same color as her scales.

"I thought you said this tunnel led to the poison jungle?" Dewdrop whisper-asked.

"I knew it led towards the poison jungle, so I assumed it led there, or somewhere close. But I guess it didn't... sorry." GoldSpot said.

"It's ok! You got us out of there, and that's what matters. We can figure out the rest." Dewdrop said, then fell silent.

A scraping sound came from one of the tunnels, and the snorting grunt of something that definitely not dragon. A huge creature came lumbering out of the tunnel on Dewdrops right.

Red and gold scales covered it's body, and it's tail broadened on the end like a club. It had no wings. Instead, long spikes covered it's back like a porcupine's quills.

It snuffled and looked around. Dewdrop hoped that GoldSpot was hidden. Pressing herself to the ground, she looked at the exit. It seemed to be the only one. Another sound came from the tunnel, and this time, it was the weirdest dragon Dewdrop had ever seen.

Scales a pale brown, almost like stone. Wings like a bats were folded down on its back. Yellow flecks pattered it's scales. Long spines rested on its tail, but only on one side. They were folded down, but pricked up when it entered the cave. And the weirdest thing was, it's eyes — blue — glowed.

It jumped onto the creature, who roared and tried to push the dragon off, but the dragon scurried up its back, and bit down right behind its head. The beast roared in pain, and swung its tail, knocking off the Dragon. She fell to the floor, but got back up again, and pounced on the creatures tail. It swung its tail again, but this time the dragon jumped off, opened its wings and flew full—force into the creature, knocking it over. The dragon bit down hard on the back of its neck again, and the creature gave one last mournful cry, then fell silent.

It was dead.

Dewdrop stepped out from behind the crystals where she was hiding, and walked over to the dragon, who was cradling her left talon with a pained look on her face.

"Are you alright?" Dewdrop asked. "Thank you for saving us."

"Yes, I'll be fine. Who are you? What are you doing in our tunnels?"
She stood up, not putting weight on her injured foot.

"My name is Dewdrop, and that's GoldSpot." GoldSpot had flew down from her perch near the ceiling. "We come from the Hives. We came here accidentally, trying to escape from Queen Wasp."

"And what are you?" The dragon asked.

"I'm a SilkWing, and she's a HiveWing." Dewdrop answered. "What are you?"

"I'm a CrystallineWing. Follow me, and I'll take you to Sapphire."