Chapter 17

Part three
The burning city.

Hawker's POV

Hawker, Elfin, and Pine stared at Quartz.

Quartz looked around nervously then said to the queen : "I found these dragons wandering lost in the tunnels, so I brought them here, they would have died otherwise."

"That was a noble thing to do, but Quartz, it's against the law to come back to the city during your banishment."
Diamond said. The light coming from the mushrooms reflected off her tail, sending cascades of blue light around the room.

"I know."
Quartz said, almost inaudibly.

"So must do what the law says we must do, if someone comes back during banishment." The queen said. "But you are all dismissed for now."

They bowed and left.

"Why were you banished?" Pine asked the moment they were outside.

"Because I destroyed part of the city. I have something we call glowtouch. Glowtouch is a rare ability that very few cavernwings have. It's the ability to summon and command/grow mushrooms at command.
It's very dangerous and can get out of control. I was mad at Sapphire about something, and Half the city got destroyed. I grew it back, but Diamond said I had to be banished, because of the law."  Quartz told them.

"What are they going to do?" Elfin whispered.

"The normal thing is dropping them into the Dark." Quartz explained.

"What's the Dark?" Pine asked. The leafwing was sitting down, wings wrapped tight around him.

"It's a cavern, under the mountains of pantala, where a creature called a Wing-ripper lives. There's only two of them left in the world. One lives in the cavern under the mountains." Quartz said, nodding.

"And the other?" Pine asked.

"It roams the tunnels, and it eats dragons." Quartz answered.

"I don't like that." Pine said. Elfin patted his back with her wings.

I wonder where Dewdrop is. Hawker thought. Is she still stuck with the HiveWings? Did she escape? Or... he didn't want to finish that thought.