6 | Artificial Love

Soobin entered the kitchen.

The staff looked up at him, startled. He had never graced them with his majestic presence before, so of course, it came as a shock to everyone there. Karina was cutting onions and didn't look up even when he strolled inside and stood in front of her, almost hovering.

"You. Come out with me." Soobin ordered, and walked out of the space. She followed. As soon as they were out of earshot, he turned to face her. "What are you doing here? Who are you?"

"I... I'm Karina." She cowered under his glare. "I started working here recently-"

"What were you doing back in Busan then? In the enemy territory?" He stepped closer, and she stepped back. "If you are here in the mansion, then you know everything about us, about me-"

"I didn't know you were involved back when I met you." Karina babbled. "I thought you worked here for money like me. Maybe a driver or something. I... I kind of... I kind of liked you. When I saw you in Busan, I approached you because that guy was stalking me and-"

"He wasn't your ex boyfriend?" Soobin asked beliwered, and she flushed, shaking her head.

"He was a stalker and I sat with you to strike a conversation." Her cheeks turned red and she fumbled with her hands, nervous. "I wanted an excuse and got one. My grandma lives there. Busan, I mean. That's why I was there on weekends... I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have -"

"Okay."

Dumbfounded, she nodded immediately. He hummed, and stepped back when she held his hand. His eyes traveled from her to their intertwined hands. "I... I apologise, sir. Again. It was a stupid crush. I know now that you're engaged to someone else. Please don't fire me."

"If I came to know that you're lying in the future..." Soobin leaned over her face, her wide eyes staring into his calm ones. "Then I'll personally perform the torture ceremony, got it?" 

Karina let go off his hand, and bit her lip. "Got it, sir."

"Good." With that he walked away.

×××

Joy curled herself into a small ball, and cried silently in bed. She did it. She recorded a video message, framing her dad of something he had no idea about. For the clan. For the loyalty she and her dad had towards the daughter of Capo Mujabihan. It came with a price though.

Her sanity was the price. The heartbreak, the guilt everything.

The bed dipped to one side. When she cracked her eyes open, she found out why. Taehyung sat beside her, staring down as if she was an annoying utter moron, and she agreed to him to some extent. She should know better than to cry in this world of hate and revenge.