11 | Darkness

Karina sat up, and pulled her long hair into a bun as she turned to climb down the bed. Today was going to be a hectic one as a few of the clan members were visiting the mansion. As soon as she placed her feet on the ground, she felt it. Someone was sitting beside her leg, and she bit back a scream.

"Oh my God!" Her eyes widened as she went down and kneeled in front of the underboss. He was bathed in blood. "Are you hurt?" she asked, shaking his body lightly. "Wait, of course you're hurt. I'm so sorry. I'll call a doctor and inform-"

Soobin pulled her down before she could go stand up properly. "I'm fine," he murmured. "It's not my blood." He glanced at the door, then sighed. "I was here because there's no lock in the servant quarters."

Karina frowned. "What? What are you talking about?" She eyed the blood on his shirt and gulped. "And... It's not your blood means... there was a fight yesterday. Did you... kill-"

"Don't ask the questions if you don't want answers to them." Soobin bit out. She flinched. "I apologize. Got a lot in my mind." He ran a hand through his hair. "Yes, there was a fight yesterday. More like a massacre and... men aren't really good in head during those times. I didn't want anyone to seek you out."

Her throat wobbled. "Do they... Do they generally... What does seeking me out means?"

Shaking his head, he looked away. "You know what I mean. No one really visits servants quarter but I had noticed how a few men were interested in you before," he explained, a frown on his face. "I wanted to protect you from a possible horror show."

Karina's knees trembled and she sat on the ground with a thud. "Thank you for helping me out. I didn't... I had no idea." She lifted her head when he brushed the back of his hand over her cheek. "Why did you do it? Protect me, I mean."

"Felt charitable enough." Soobin shrugged.

"Didn't you... Like didn't you want to seek someone out? Your fiance?" She almost mumbled the last part under her breath.

"Yeji is smart. She would have never opened the door for me." His fingers were still touching her heated skin. "I didn't get a chance to go to my apartment last night. I should go back to freshen up now." He stood up.

Karina held his hand and he stared down at her. She was still sitting on the ground, her eyes staring at the wall in front of her. "Why didn't you feel the need to do it then? How come you're the only one who is right in his head after the massacre?"

Soobin kneeled. He grabbed her chin in between his fingers and smiled. "You must never, I mean never know or can imagine the thoughts that went through my head when I entered your room. You would run for hills if you even got a glimpse into my head."

"Did the thought of your fiance stopped you?" She asked, her lips trembling. "From crossing the line between us."

"You're scared of me," he muttered. "Irony is that I'm far better right now. You should have seen me yesterday." A laugh bubbled out of him. "I had to remind myself that I'm here to protect you. Even if it meant from myself."

"Do you do that a lot?" Karina blinked. "Protect people from yourself?"

"Each of us do that. We want to protect our loved ones Cara mia. Even from ourselves." Soobin jerked away from her and stood up. "But, I can't be here forever. Figure out a way to save yourself."

With that Soobin walked out.

Taehyung walked into the kitchen and saw Joy standing by the counter, chopping onions. Her hands worked fast. His eyes scanned the kitchen staff and they cowered under his gaze. "Leave."