16 i can fix all those lies

i can fix all those lies,
but baby, when i run, i'm running to you.
EDWARD MAYA AND VIKA JIGULIN

CHAPTER 16    A DATE, NO, A HANGOUT

the four of them huddled behind one of the trees, watching the two ex-lovers communicate with one other. while albedo used the chance to draw the lovely scenery, kazuha wrote a new poem inspired by the great mood.

"i don't trust that guy," venti eventually said, his gaze shifting away from the pair. scaramouche was deep in thought as he crossed his arms and leaned against one of the trees, the cool breeze stroking over his violet hair.

aether shrugged his shoulders in response. "let's go now, we can't keep spying them forever." xiao stated, snatching venti by the rear of his collar and hauling him inside the school.

"b-but-" venti couldn't continue his words before noticing xiao's terrible glare on him, which made him whimper in terror. scaramouche and aether trailed after, leaving albedo and kazuha to their own businesses.

then, at that point, there was heizou giving you a maple leaf, "i heard you can make a wish with this maple leaf, particularly since it hasn't fallen at this point." heizou started, putting the orange leaf on your hand.

you stayed speechless in your seat, unable to utter a single word as you faced the boy you hadn't seen in years.

especially when the last time you saw one other was the day you broke up.

"what are you doing here?" you inquired, still unable to believe he was here and wearing the same uniform as you. then it dawned on you, and you leapt to your feet.

you snatched him by the collar, pulling him nearer to your face while you glared, "and how could you recognize me?"

heizou suddenly raised his hands in defense, not expecting you to be so fiery around him already, but his idiotic grin persisted, "how can i not know the face that i have fallen for?" he boldly answered.

she sighed in disbelief as she let go of his collar. y/n slumped back to the bench, unwilling to remember their history, but before she could speak again, she froze. heizou made a point.

"wow, you kept that necklace," heizou pointed to the jewelry that was intended to be hidden beneath your shirt. you immediately began covering it, not attempting to look at heizou's reaction since you knew he'd be filled with false optimism.

"don't think much of it, heizou. although, how have you been doing?" you questioned, altering the topic to which heizou grinned at your continued care for his well-being.