42 when you go away i still see you

and when you go away i still see you,
the sunlight on your face in my rearview
CIGARETTES AFTER SEX

and when you go away i still see you,the sunlight on your face in my rearview— CIGARETTES AFTER SEX

CHAPTER 42 ORANGES

inside the sterile hospital room, (name) sat by her grandmother's bedside. a small bag of oranges sat on the side table, and the sweet aroma filled the room as she carefully peeled one, her nimble fingers deftly removing the skin.

the sweet aroma of citrus filled the room, mingling with the antiseptic scent that lingered in the air. despite the somber atmosphere, the two engaged in playful banter, attempting to infuse a bit of lightness into the heavy surroundings.

"(name), dear, you're peeling it all wrong." her grandmother teased, a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

(name) feigned offense, holding up a particularly uneven peel. "well, if you're the expert, show me how it's done, grandma."

her grandmother chuckled, the sound a melody that resonated through the room. "so, tell me, how's university life treating you? any exciting stories?"

(name) rolled her eyes playfully. "exciting stories, grandma? you know i'm more into books and studying than wild adventures."

her grandmother gave her a knowing look. "come on, (name), i've been around long enough to know that university isn't just about books. what about those boys from your club?"

(name) blushed slightly, her attention momentarily focused on the orange in her hands. "well, they're a handful, as always."

her grandmother's eyes twinkled with curiosity. "tell me more. are they keeping you on your toes?"

the (hair color)-headed girl nodded, a playful glint in her eyes mirroring her grandmother's mischief.

"absolutely. there's this one guy, kazuha, always with a poetic charm and a smile that can charm the birds off the trees."

her grandmother chuckled, clearly entertained by the description. "sounds like quite the character. anyone else catching your eye?"

(name) hesitated, a faint blush dusting her cheeks. "well, there's venti, too. he's like a whirlwind of energy, always making things lively. though, i'm not sure if it's a good thing or not,"

her grandmother raised an eyebrow, encouraging her to continue.

"he's a bit overprotective," (name) admitted with a laugh. "but it comes from a good place, i suppose. it's like having an extra guardian angel."

her grandmother's eyes twinkled with a mischievous glint as she listened to (name)'s stories. "it sounds like you have a lively bunch around you. it's good to know more people are looking out for you. who knows, maybe you'll end up marrying one of them."

(name) paused mid-peel, her eyes widening. "grandma, stop! absolutely not!" she protested, a blush spreading across her cheeks.

the playful banter between them continued as her grandmother chuckled at the reaction. "oh, come on, dear. i'm just teasing you," her grandmother said with a wink.