43 lady, running down to the riptide

lady, running down to the riptide,
taken away to the dark side,
i wanna be your left-hand man.
i love you when you're singing
that song
— VANCE JOY

 i love you when you're singing that song— VANCE JOY

CHAPTER 43 PEACE

when it comes to dealing with grief, everyone has their own way of coping, and kazuha is no different.

he vividly remembers that day, surrounded by the sterile hospital environment, standing outside a room.

the chaos of doctors and nurses rushing around, the constant beeping of monitors—it all felt like a blur.

watching his best friend slip away on that hospital bed was a surreal experience. at the time, he didn't shed a tear.

it wasn't until later, when something triggered memories of his friend, that kazuha truly felt the weight of his absence.

tomo.

as reality crashed over him, kazuha blinked rapidly, trying to push aside the flood of emotions threatening to overwhelm him. dwelling on the past wouldn't change anything, especially since it happened years ago.

but seeing (name) recently lose someone dear to her brought those memories flooding back. despite her loss, she insisted on attending the host club meeting.

that's how kazuha ended up in one of the empty rooms with the other members, except for (name) and heizou. venti had called for a meeting, expressing deep concern for their friend (name).

venti's voice echoed through the room as he announced his plan. "alright, here's the deal. we're going to bake a cake for (name), and i need you guys to help me out."

the announcement was met with a mix of surprise and concern from the other members. baking a cake seemed like an odd choice given the circumstances, but they trusted their president's judgment.

"count me in." albedo answered, offering his assistance without hesitation. he was always eager to lend a hand, especially when it came to creative projects like baking.

kazuha nodded in agreement, a small smile playing on his lips. "i'm happy to help however i can." he chimed in, his gentle demeanor providing a sense of calm amidst the uncertainty.

scaramouche raised an eyebrow at the idea. "baking a cake at a time like this? are you sure that's the best use of our time?" he questioned, his tone dripping with skepticism.

however, aether offered a reassuring smile. "it could be a nice distraction," he suggested, trying to find a silver lining in the situation. "and (name) would appreciate the gesture."

xiao remained silent, his stoic expression betraying little emotion. but his presence alone spoke volumes—whatever venti had planned, xiao would be there to support their friend.