41 do you have to let it linger ?

you know i'm such a fool for you,
you got me wrapped around your finger.
do you have to let it linger?
— THE CRANBERRIES

do you have to let it linger?— THE CRANBERRIES

CHAPTER 41 RAMEN

(name) was swallowed by panic as she and kazuha geared up for the eagerly awaited party invitation. however, a single phone call promptly shattered their festive plans, rerouting them to the solemn corridors of a hospital.

the (hair color)-headed girl flung open the door to the hospital room, her eyes desperately seeking the familiar face.

tears welled up as she cried out, "grandma!" racing to the bedside, she found her grandmother nestled in an unnervingly serene slumber.

meanwhile, kazuha stationed himself just outside the room, sensing the heavy and somber atmosphere that hung in the air.

hospitals held memories that haunted him, memories he tried to keep at bay. yet, for (name), he set aside his own discomfort, prioritizing her over his own qualms.

his heart ached witnessing her tears as her grandfather divulged the grim situation. "your grandmother hid her illness from you for a year." he explained, a furrow creasing his brow.

(name) frowned, demanding an explanation for the year-long deception. "but why? you know i don't appreciate you guys keeping secrets from me, especially something as important as this."

the grandfather, his face a mix of regret and understanding, clarified, "your grandmother didn't wish to burden you with her condition. she wanted you to focus on your studies. i disagreed, but i couldn't go against her wishes."

yet, the brief calm shattered when (name)'s aunt entered the room, her face contorted in disapproval at the sight of her nephew.

"what is she doing here?" she scowled. the grandfather sighed, "she needed to be here; she cared for your mother just as you do."

although protests echoed within the room, (name) reluctantly stepped outside. she knew that challenging her aunt wouldn't be wise, even if every fiber of her being resisted.

emerging into the open air outside the stifling room, she found kazuha leaning against the wall. offering a simple smile, he suggested, "wanna go get ramen together?" it was his attempt to offer solace, a way to divert her mind from the distressing situation.

smiling in response, (name) acknowledged, "and who am i to decline that?"

within the walls of the ramen shop, (name) was grateful for kazuha's company as they sat across from each other, steam wafting from bowls of hot ramen, both joyfully savoring each bite.