Chapter 3

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

Mr. Crowley and I were sitting in the library looking through a table full of books. He had asked me a bunch of questions about the Encanto and questions about my Gift. I tried to answer all the questions to the best of my ability, but I'm starting to think that there is no information in any of the books.

"Just as I'd suspected. Nothing," Mr. Crowley says as he puts down the book he was looking through. "Not only is your homeland not listed on any map from any point in history. Now, are you QUITE sure that you come from such a place? That wasn't some sort of lie or jape? Because if so, the only explanation is that you've come from another planet. Or perhaps you were summoned here from another dimension?"

"I thought I told you this during the orientation. Since I have no idea what this place is or what 'magic' is, I already made the conclusion of being from another world," I sigh and place my head on the table. "Do you really not listen to a word I say?"

"Show me everything that you brought here with you," Mr. Crowley demands and I turn my head to look at him blankly. "Do you have some form of identification, a driver's license perhaps? Or even a.. shoe? You do seem a tad bit... empty-handed."

"Oh, you don't say," I mumbled. Man, for a headmaster he sure is pretty stupid.

"Well, this is quite the predicament. I cannot have someone with no aptitude for magic bumbling about my magic academy, who is a female nonetheless. And yet, as an educator, I am loath to expel a young female without a cent to her name, or any ability to contact her guardian..." Mr. Crowley paused his rambling to think. "Truly, my grace is boundless. There is a vacant building on this campus. It was, in fact, used as a dorm a long time ago. With a proper cleaning, it should be habitable enough. Out of the profound kindness of my heart, I will allow you to live there for the time being. In the meantime, we will investigate other ways to send you home. Dear me, but I am a gracious man indeed! A model educator, one might say."

"Why must you say such strange things, crow man," I groaned. Mr. Crowley got up from his chair and ushered me to do the same.

"Well, then I shall take you to your dorm straight away. It is an older building, but it has plenty of... character, one might say," Mr. Crowley chuckles. Great and he laughs at his one 'jokes'. What a strange man.

As we head to the abandoned dorm, I decided to ask as many questions as I could to Mr. Crowley to understand this place better. I had never been to a school, for my parents say that my Gift was too dangerous to be allowed to around other people. They didn't mind me being with the Madrigals cause if anything happened, they could just be healed by Julieta's cooking. While walking, I notice the area getting less well kept and before I realized it, we were in front of a run down building.

"Ummm... ¿quieres que me quede aquí?" I look up at the building in confusion.

"Parden me," Mr. Crowley questions. Ah, forgot that I can't be using Spanish here.

"Right, sorry. So, you want me to stay here," I ask again but in English.

"Isn't it delightful," Mr. Crowley beams. He pushes me inside the building as I try to fight him. "Right, scoot inside now. There you go."

The inside of the building wasn't as bad as the outside. There were some holes in the ceiling and walls, loose floorboards, and broken furniture, but there was nothing a little ice and flame couldn't fix.

"This should keep the elements at bay for the time being," Mr. Crowley turns to leave. "Now, I should return to my research. Do try to find some way to busy yourself. But don't let me catch you wandering the campus! Ta!" So he's gone now. I look around the dorm to decide where to start cleaning first. Walking around, I find a huge room that seemed to be a bedroom. Guess, I'll start here.