Chapter 11

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts 

"We barely made it," I slightly pant.

"I'm just glad we aren't late," Deuce comments. The teacher walks into the room. Why is he wearing fur? This school keeps getting weirder and weirder. 

"Ah, you must be my new homeroom students," the fur wearer looks at me then Grim. "Hm, that's quite the unusual coat of fur. Do make sure that you arrive properly groomed. My name is Divus Crewel. You may call me Master Crewel."

"I rather not," I mutter under my breathe. Yep, defiantly can't get any weirder.

"Now, take your seats. Class is about to begin," Mr. Crewel instructs. "We're going to start with the basics. And by that, I mean beating the names and distinguishing characteristics of one hundred herbs and potions into your tiny brains. The mycelia are another matter. But eventually, I'm hopeful you'll be able to take a walk without putting anything poisonous into your gaping maws. For now, I realize you have all the self-control of voracious hounds. But I will not abide a single student failing this class, expect to be drilled accordingly."

"So... does anyone know what a mycelia is," Deuce asks.

"I've never been one for like, memorizing what things are, ya know," Ace sighs.

"At least you people know how school works," I growled. "I'm like a fish out of water over here!"

"All I care about is how to tell the yummy plants from the yucky ones," Grim interjects.

"Is that all you know how to do," I questioned Grim. "Thinking with your stomach? If so, you could probably rival Camilo."

"Who," Deuce asks.

"That's not important right now," I reply. 

"I am you History of Magic teacher, Mozus Trein and this is my familiar, Lucius," the teacher introduces himself. He looks super old! Maybe as old as Abuela Madrigal! "You are here to learn the rich history of magic, and how it has sculpted the world which you now so easily take for granted." The cat meows after Mr. Trein finished talking.

"Now, that's interesting," I say while looking at the cat and it looks back at me. I wonder if I'm able to understand it. I never really spent time with animals but since my Gift is part animal, I should be able to communicate. I try it later.

"I grade based on classroom behavior as well as the quality of work. Don't let me catch you sleeping," Mr. Trein warns and Lucius meows again. "Now, let us open our books to page fifteen. This section concerns the magestones discovered in the Dwarfs' Mine..."

"This information would've been helpful yesterday," I whisper to myself as I look at the book. "Thank you Agust[i]n for teaching me how to read."

"As knowledge and awareness of magical energy began to spread across the globe from this point, this year would be considered Year One of the Magical Era."

"Fascinating... 'Dwarfs' Mine'..." Deuce mutters to himself as Ace yawns.

"Maaan... When do we get to the class where we blow stuff up with magic," Grim complains.

"I don't think a class like that exists," I tell Grim and he sulks.

"I'm so gonna enjoy this class," I quietly cheer.

"I'm coach Vargas, and physically educating your feeble little bodies is my responsibility," the coach introduces himself. "Great sorcery begins with a great physique! Behold the muscles you can build wit ha diet of raw eggs!"