Chapter 4

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

Tw: mentions of abuse, and neglect

"So do I get to stay," Grim asked. "I'll even listen to the human."

"Incredible... I've never seen anyone bend a monster to their will quite the way you have," Mr. Crowley states looking at me. I feel like he's taking a jab at me since I'm a fox. "I must confess, my educator's intuition did sense something about you after that brouhaha at orientation, Y/n. I could tell you had a certain animal trainer-y, beast master-ish quality to you. Oh, yes."

"Are you sure it's not just the ears and tail," I questioned. "Anyways, what are you gonna do with the cat? Even if you kick it out again, he'll probably just come back. I mean... I could watch over him, since I have nothing else better to do."

"WHAT? A monster stay HERE," Mr. Crowley was shocked.

"Whoa, did you just...?" Grim was also shocked. Why are they so surprised? Are people not nice in this land?

"I guess he would be okay company," I start explaining. "Also, you might not want someone from another world just wandering around campus without any company."

"Hmmm... I suppose I cannot deny your plea," Mr. Crowley says. I so didn't plead but go off. "Very well."

"Myah?! Really," Grim gasps.

"Let me be clear! Under no circumstances would I admit anyone to Night Raven College who has not been selected by the Dark Mirror—especially not a monster." That's a hard blow. "Nor do I intend to allow you, Y/n to freeload until you're able to return home."

"Hrmph! Never shoulda got my hopes up..." Grim sulks.

"Now, allow me to explain," Mr. Crowley begins. "It was the Dark Mirror that transported you here. Therefore, this school does bear some responsibility for your well-being. So I will allow you to remain in this dorm, free of charge. However, you will need to pay for your own food, clothing, and incidentals."

"How do you suggest I do that," I asked.

"As to how you will do so, penniless as you are," Mr. Crowley laughs. As much as he says how nice he is, he's being pretty mean. "Yes, a fine plan."

"What is it you want me to do," I sigh. I know this isn't gonna be good.

"You needn't seem so alarmed. I'm simply going to ask you to do q few odd jobs around campus. From what you've done here, Y/n, I can tell you know your way around a broom. So what do you say to you two working together as a janitorial team," Mr. Crowley proposes. It's not like I have much of a choice. Might as well, make myself useful as Abuela Alma says. "If you agree to that, I will make a special exception and allow you to remain on campus. I'll also allow you use of the library, so that you may study, and research ways to return home. How boundlessly charitable I am. Ah, but only when your work is over, of course!"

"Whaaat? What kinda deal is that?!" Grim complains.

"Well, I don't have much of a choice," I tell Grim and he looks at me unimpressed.

"I wanna put on one of those sweet uniforms and be a student, not sweep up people's junk," Grim huffed.

"Dude, were you not listening," I facepalmed. "You can't be a student here!"

"If you're not satisfied with my offer, I can arrange to have you thrown out again," Mr. Crowley suggests. I'm starting to feel like Grim is gonna be causing more trouble then he's worth. What did I get myself into?