Chapter 21

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

"There should be a dictionary that I could use to look up all of the weird terms you people throw at me," I sigh, having no clue what a 'Spelldrive' is.

"Dude, Y/n..." Ace looked flabbergasted. "You've never heard of Spelldrive?!"

"¿Cómo puedes ser tan estúpido?" I question. "I. AM. NOT. FROM. THIS. WORLD. Métetelo en la cabeza!"

"Geez, sorry," Ace half-heartedly apologized.

"Anyways, Spelldrive is a world-famous sport," Deuce explains. "There's even a pro league and a world championship tournament."

"I ain't never heard of this either," Grim admitted.

"Spelldrive is a sport played by competing teams of seven people," Ace adds on to Deuce's explanation. "Basically, players battle for control of a disc and earn points by drivin' it into the enemy team's goal. The team with the most points wins!"

"What's a disc? How do you control said disc?" I started to ramble off questions until Deuce put his hand over my mouth.

"I think it would be better for you to watch a game to understand the game more," Deuce suggested as he took his hand off my mouth and I nodded my head in agreement.

"Oh, man, I just realized that Y/n would have a hard time actually playing," Ace scratches the back of his head.

"Why's that," Grim asked.

"You need magic to play," Deuce sweatdropped as he took a step away from me. "Not only do you move the disc with magic, but you use it to attack and defend, too."

"The flashier the magic—it's how players show off their skills," Ace smiles.

"Yes, quite," Mr. Crowley spoke up. "That is why Night Raven College is known throughout the world as a leader in the sport! This school has produced countless pro players! That's why our interdorm Spelldrive tournaments attract attention even from pro league recruiters. Also, those simply looking for up-and-coming magicians use the event to scout hopeful candidates. Yes, the tournament is quite an affair. The campus will be full of visitors and lined with various kiosks. And the main event will be captured by television cameras and broadcast worldwide."

"Television cameras," I repeated in thought. "Must be a really big deal then."

"It's broadcast throughout the world," Grim had the biggest smile on his face. Oh, no. I don't like the look of his face. "So you're sayin' that if I were to play in this tournament—and win of course—the whole world would see it?!"

"Of course," Mr. Crowley smiles. "Players who excel at the tournament invariably attract great attention. Both from the pro leagues and the public at large!"

"In your case, the magic would barely even matter," Deuce genuinely smiles. "Just having a monster like you out there is sure to turn heads."

"It's settled, then," Grim cheered. "I'm gonna train around the clock, join a team, and become a legend!"

"Alas, Grim, you cannot enter," Mr. Crowley frowned.

"...Wait, what," Grim exclaimed.

"Did you not hear me speak the word 'interdorm' multiple times," Mr. Crowley sighed. "Your dorm doesn't even have seven members. Therefore, you cannot enter the tournament."

"Whaaaaaat," Grim wailed. "No faaaaair!"

"But there's plenty else to do, from tending to the grounds to selling drinks in the stands," Mr. Crowley suggests. "Those who stand upon the field are not the only stars of tournament day."