Chapter 12

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

The housewarden's gaze on Ace does not falter. Trey shakes his head and Deuce looks like he's about to faint. Grim couldn't care less about the situation at hand as he stuffs his face with food. I sat there with second-hand embarrassment for Ace.

"Hey, Riddle!" Cater awkwardly greets. "What's shakin', pal? You're lookin' adorbs, as always!"

"Cater, keep running that mouth and you'll lose it," Riddle huffs a warning. "Along with the rest of your head."

"Sorry, sorry! My bad," Cater apologizes. Grim looks up to look at what was happening.

"You're the guy who put the stupid collar on me at the orientation ceremony," Grim growls as he spots the familiar redhead.

"And you're the new students who were nearly expelled yesterday," Riddle retorts. "I'll ask that you not refer to my signature spell as a 'stupid collar'. The headmage's habit of tolerating rulebreakers like you is going to send this entire campus spiraling into chaos one day. Those who break the rules should have their heads removed immediately, without exception."

"Like literal decapitation," I question. I'm starting to question my safety here. Maybe I should run away. I can't do that, what if they send someone after me and I still get killed.

"Dude, seriously," Ace sighs. "This guy looks like a wimp, but talks like a monster!"

"The headmage may have forgiven you, but if you break any further rules, I assume you will not," Riddle says.

"So, uh, housewarden, sir," Ace sheepishly smiles. "Any chance I could get you to remove this collar?"

"I had intended to remove it once you'd taken an opportunity to reflect upon your crimes," Riddle stated. "But I've detected so much as a hint of remorse in the foolishness I've heard you spout today. So I think I'll let you keep that for a while. Don't worry. The freshman curriculum is more focused on magical theory than practice. And your inability to use magic will prevent incidents along the lines of what happened yesterday. Now, if you've finished your meal, you should quit gossiping and prepare for your next class. Rule 271 is quite clear: 'One must leave the table within fifteen minutes of completing their lunch.' You DO understand what happens to rulebreakers, I trust?"

"More insane rules," Ace sighs.

"I believe you mean to say, 'Yes, Housewarden!'" Riddle instructs.

"Yes, Housewarden!" Ace and Deuce both exclaim.

"Very well, then," Riddle says, not that convinced.

"Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on them," Trey speaks up. I'm happy I didn't get sorted into their dorm. I wouldn't last a day.

"As vice housewarden, I trust you'll avoid any further indiscreet conversation," Riddle tells Trey. "Now, as per rule 339... 'The post-meal beverage is to be lemon tea with two sugar cubes.' Thus, I must go to acquire my sugar cubes. Farwell." Riddle turns to walk away and when he's far enough from the group, they exhale.

"Well that was something," I sigh.

"That was terrifying," Cater says and Deuce nods his head in agreement.

"That guy," Grim pauses. "Has some serious issues."

"You can't say that," I say as I smack the back of Grim's head.

"Hey, don't disrespect him," Deuce backs me up. There were some whispers from tables around us about the housewarden. Some students whispered about the food and others about how strict the housewarden was. Cater and Trey also listened in on the student's whispers.