Chapter 22

Your pov...

Italics- thoughts

"Man... If I can't be in the Spelldrive tournament, then what's even the point anymore," Grim frowned as we entered our dorm.

"It's alright, Grim," I tried to cheer him up. "There will be more opportunities to show how great you are."

"What's wrong, Grimmy," Fester asked Grim as he appeared along with Hugh and Ryuu. "Something got ya down?"

"He's sulking because he can't play in the Spelldrive tournament," Hugh answered.

"If you wanna play Spelldrive that badly, why, we can play with ya," Ryuu suggests. "I was the team captain ninety years ago, y'know. The girls in the stands couldn't get enough of me!"

"Yeah, but wouldn't we need seven people," Grim crossed his arms.

"It's not a real match, so who cares," Fester argued. "Let's just play!" We all went outside to the side of the dorm where there was an open field. The ghosts had gotten a disc.

"Alright let's play," Hugh cheered, and the match between ghosts and Grim.

⦕Small time skip...⦖

"Good day," Mr. Crowley calls out to us as the ghosts and Grim take a small break from playing. Well, Grim needed the break, the ghosts not so much. "Playing some Spelldrive?"

"And here comes the Fun Police," Grim frowns. "There goes my good mood, right down the drain."

"I'm pleased to see you're all getting along," Mr. Crowley smiled. "Quite pleased indeed."

"Yeah, they just keep comin' back anyway," Grim growls, as if he wasn't just having fun with the ghosts. "Might as well get along, I guess. Did you want something or..."

"I have a request to make of you both," Mr. Crowley turns the lighthearted conversation to a serious one. "What don't we take this inside?" Grim and I share a look and follow Mr. Crowley inside.

"Seriously," Grim was still very annoyed. "MORE requests? I ain't a part of your janitorial staff anymore, y'know!"

"Oh? You DO recall that I never promised to cover the living expenses you've been racking up, yes," Mr. Crowley brings up. "Hard work can be a beautiful thing, Grim. I'm sure you agree, Y/n."

"Are you threatening me, Crowley," I growled.

"I'll get straight to the point," Mr. Crowley cleared his throat. "There has been a rash of students being hurt in suspicious incidents on campus lately. I'm here to ask you to investigate the matter."

"¿Me estás tomando el pelo?" I exhaled.

"Suspicious incidents..." Grim ponders.

"Grim, no," I state. "We are doing nothing for that man!"

"Yes," Mr. Crowley ignored me. "Students falling down stairs, getting burns from boiling water, and so forth. The specifics of the incidents differ, but Shibishu's office has had a clear spike in patients over the last few days. With yesterday's incident on the stairs, we now have ten wounded students. We're just fortunate that none of the injuries have been life-threatening...yet."

"Ya sure it ain't just kids bein' clumsy," Grim questioned.

"I'm sure many of our students are too distracted by the upcoming tournament to focus properly," Mr. Crowley builds off of Grim's theory. "But this is far more accidents than we've had in past years. Furthermore, all of the wounded students were considered contenders to make their dorm' teams."