Chapter 7 - What Are You Hiding?

After Stark and Banner's departure, everyone scattered.

Fury returned to the command center, Natasha went off to who knows where and Steve looked like he wanted to explore the Helicarrier.

And Keira knew she couldn't do anything at the moment. The facial scans were running for Barton, so nothing she could do there, nor could she be of any assistance to Stark and Banner.

So instead, she reached up into her hair and pulled the high ponytail free. Her hair fell down over her shoulders, a small curve where the hair tie had scrunched the hair. She combed through it with her fingers, trying to untie the knots that had formed.

Her hair had this amazing ability to form knots even though she wasn't doing anything, and it annoyed her greatly. Or maybe that was simply because her hair was damaged and brittle in the ends.

After being somewhat happy with her hair, she stood up and made her way over to the kitchen. If there was nothing to do, at least she could snack on something.

Opening the fridge, she saw a few leftover boxes of Chinese food, along with a few cakes and muffins. "It's amazing how these so-called superheroes are so unhealthy." She muttered to herself while eyeing a muffin that was screaming her name. She wasn't one to talk, however, as she loved junk food, so no complaints from her side about the contents of the fridge.

"Look who's talking."

Natasha's low voice made her jump in fright, and she turned around quickly with her fists raised. Her focus had been sorely on the pastry, so she hadn't even heard the spy sneaking up on her. "Oh, my bloody heart, Tasha. Don't do that!" She exclaimed, clutching a hand over her racing heart. "Or do you wish to kill me?"

Natasha stepped into the dimly lit kitchen, a half-smirk on her face. She always found great pleasure in being able to scare the blonde, considering her enhanced hearing and such. "Well..." She pondered, a hand under her chin. "I mean, there's a war coming up, and I think you could be pretty useful in it. But after that... It's definitely up for discussion."

Keira rolled her eyes and turned back to the fridge to snatch up the chocolate muffin. "Auch, you wound me, Tasha. Truly. Did you hear that?" She paused her movements, holding up a finger and pretending to listen for something else than the low hum of the fridge. "That was my heart breaking into a million pieces." She continued as she peeled off the paper from the muffin before taking a big bite. It wouldn't satisfy her hunger much, but it tasted good, and that was the most important thing.

A good snack could save the day.

"Aw, I'm sorry. Should I pick up the pieces and glue them together again?" Natasha pouted, folding her arms over her chest loosely, leaning against the counter as she watched the blonde with twinkling eyes. It had been a long time since she had been able to tease the blonde, and god, she had missed it.

"Oh, no. I fear it's too late. I feel our friendship breaking apart." Keira gasped, putting her free hand on her forehead as if she were to faint.

Was she being dramatic? Maybe a little bit, but she couldn't help herself. Just as much as Natasha enjoyed teasing her, Keira enjoyed teasing the redhead the same.

Natasha shook her head in response and pushed herself from the counter. She closed the distance between her and Keira and embraced the blonde. "Is this saving it?" She murmured, still parading the half-smirk, but it was hidden in Keira's mess of blonde hair. She wasn't really big on hugs normally, but she knew it was Keira's weakness and didn't hesitate to use it against her.

For a few seconds, Keira just stood still, not returning the hug because she wanted to torture the redhead a little. But just as Natasha had predicted, she melted soon enough and returned the hug. "You're on the right path, young padawan." She mumbled, smiling to herself before releasing the redhead. "You know what? You're a just big softie in reality, Tasha." She said, the smile turning into a smirk, and seeing Natasha's face turn into a frown.