Chapter 19 - Not Again

"That thing is not supposed to be here. It's supposed to be in SHIELD custody." Keira said, pointing towards the rack. Loki's scepter was supposed to be kept safe at one of SHIELD's secret labs, away from the public, and being monitored. It was definitely not meant to be in HYDRA's hands, and yet, here it was.

The scepter was standing upright in the rack, and the gem was glowing brightly in the dim light. Just like she had felt back in the Helicarrier, she couldn't help but feel like she wanted to touch the stone, but at the same time, she was terrified of doing so.

It was like two sides of a coin were fighting within her to win, but it just kept spinning, never landing on a decision. And the light buzzing she had heard back then also seemed to grow the longer she stared at the gem, or maybe that was just her imagination.

Alexandra waved the two agents away, knowing that she was in full control over everything in the room. "Oh, it was in SHIELD custody for a while. They monitored it, and kept it under lock and key, just like they said they would." She threw the mutant a victorious smile. "But thanks to some special contacts, we managed to strike a deal before the scepter was meant to move another home. So now, we have some time to play with it. And you especially, will have a chance to experience it."

Keira's eyes darted from the scepter to the doctor. "Me? What do you mean me?" She asked, her gaze jumping all over the woman's face, trying to get a glimpse of what she meant.

Please, just no more mind control.

If anything more was going to mess with her brain, she'd lose herself completely. She was already trying her hardest to not lose her heart. And after hearing that none of her friends had looked for her, it was hard to find a reason to not shut it all out.

After all, didn't they say that Alice first became happy after falling into the rabbit hole, when she descended into the madness?

"Stand up." Alexandra ordered, not bothering to answer the blonde's question, who did as she was told without hesitation. "Now, I've heard some nasty stories about this scepter. Loki used it to take control over some agents, correct?"

Keira nodded swiftly.

"Well, obviously I don't need the scepter to take control over your mind, as the DRIP does that exceptionally well on its own. However, there have been quite a few accidents with the gem while it was in SHIELD's custody. Which is the reason as to why it was being relocated." The doctor paused to glance at the scepter. "And I wish to see whether or not those rumors are true. Because I believe we can achieve greatness with it, if we find the right way."

Keira gulped. That didn't sound promising. As if anything here ever did. She composed her face into a neutral mask and squared her shoulders, not wanting her insecurity to show. It's not like she would have a choice anyway.

Alexandra got up and left the room without another word, disappearing through a door next to the mirror wall. "Now, Topaz. I want you to touch the gemstone. Just so we can either put a rumor to rest, or prove it right." Her voice echoed through the speakers. Ah, so it was a two-way mirror.

Of course, they wanted her to touch it. Because touching an alien gemstone from outer space couldn't possibly go wrong. And if she interpreted the doctor's previous words correctly, quite a few SHIELD agents had paid with their lives as they had touched it, either by accident or on purpose.

"Yes, ma'am." Keira nodded. She would be lying if she said that a small part of her wasn't excited at the prospect of touching the gem, because she was. But if she took a moment to listen to the logical part of her brain, the part that also held the majority of her thoughts at the moment, she wanted nothing to do with the scepter or the gem, ever again.