Chapter 67 - Pinky Promise

Barely five minutes later, Keira stepped into the Quinjet. Her heart felt like It weighed a thousand pounds, and her feet dragged slightly over the smooth metal floor. The thoughts in her mind were running wild, causing her eyebrows to furrow together automatically.

How was she supposed to keep this from Wanda?

But if there was one person in the world that could break Keira out of her head without even trying, it was Wanda. At the sight of the redhead waiting for her near the cockpit, a smile painted Keira's lips, even if it might be a bit more forced than normal. She had to keep her thoughts under control, or Wanda would be able to sense them.

Wanda never consciously listened in on somebody's mind, it was a breach of privacy she was not comfortable with breaking. But as she had stated before, Keira's thoughts had their way of dragging her in, always tempting her to take a close look.

Only if she was asked, like the time back in Scotland when Keira wanted Wanda to see if she could feel what was wrong, did she allow herself to look into somebody's thoughts. Of course, it was never completely silent as long as she was around other people, but she never listened in more than she had to.

And while the blonde's lips were pulled up in a smile, it didn't quite reach her eyes, something that Wanda noticed as Keira slumped down beside her. "Hey, everything okay?"

"Huh?" Keira's head whipped up from the floor, and the katana she had been fiddling with nearly fell out of her hands. After a moment's fumbling, she gently lowered the sword down underneath her seat, all to give her some well-needed seconds to think. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Was it a classic tactic of hers to answer a question with another question when she wanted to avoid answering? Yes. Would Wanda be able to see through it? Also yes.

Keira deliberately avoided meeting the emerald eyes of her fiancée, knowing that if she made eye contact, her resistance would surely crumble down within seconds.

"Something's on your mind." Wanda gently gripped the mutant's chin between her thumb and forefinger, turning Keira's head to the side so that their gazes met. "Wanna tell me about it?" She asked softly, tilting her head slightly. Even without speaking, or hearing the screaming voices in Keira's head, Wanda could see the conflict going on behind those storm-grey eyes. Lifting her hand, she gently caressed the blonde's cheekbone with the tips of her fingers, patiently waiting for an answer.

Just like Keira had suspected, the moment green met grey, she wanted nothing more than to throw caution to the wind and spill her guts. But she knew she couldn't do that, no matter how much she wanted to.

The fate of the universe was at stake, and her life wasn't worth it. She knew it. Vision knew it. "It's just... Everything with Thanos, the upcoming battle, and Vision... It's stressing me out." Keira sighed heavily, letting her head drop forward so her chin nearly touched her chest.

Technically, that wasn't a lie... Right?

Wanda smiled weakly at her fiancée. "This is going to work, okay? I need you to trust that, Ria." Letting her hands trail along the blonde's cheekbones, she cupped Keira's cheeks before moving their faces closer together. Resting their foreheads together, Wanda closed her eyes and let a small sigh escape her lips. She wasn't sure if she truly believed Keira's words. Something more was simmering below the surface, but she wouldn't go poking around in her fiancée's brain without permission.

And Keira had yet to lie to her, so she pushed her doubts to the back of her mind.

Keira too let her eyes flutter close, and allowed herself to just revel in the moment. "I trust you." She whispered, grateful that Wanda wasn't questioning her further. The half-lie was bad enough, and she didn't know how much longer she would be able to keep up the façade if Wanda decided to push the matter further.