Chapter 46 - If I Lose Myself

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So, our priority is getting them out." Steve began just as soon as the jet had taken off.

A small sigh left Keira's lips and she ran her hands through her hair, collecting it and putting it up in its usual high ponytail. This was the one problem of every mission that the Avengers encountered. They had chosen this life, or gotten thrown into it, but in the end, it was still their choice.

But all the civilians hadn't asked for it. And considering the fact that the bad guys never cared about casualties, it was up to them to try and save as many as they could.

"All they want is to live their lives in peace and that's not gonna happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done. We find out what Ultron's been building, we find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us." Steve continued, ignoring the way that everybody's faces dropped as they were reminded of what was at stake.

Wanda and Pietro especially had to fight to keep their pained expressions at bay. These were people they knew, people they had grown up with, had protested with.

And now, they risked having to watch them perish. All because Ultron couldn't care less about human life.

"Ultron thinks we're monsters. That we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right." Steve finished off heavily. The word 'monster' had been thrown around a lot lately, and Keira knew she wasn't the only one thinking that about herself.

It didn't really matter what other people said to her, no matter if it was positive or negative. Her own thoughts had already settled, deciding that she was nothing more than the assassin HYDRA had made her. And nothing she did would ever compensate for the lives she had taken.

Glancing around, she could see nothing but somber faces. They still didn't know what Ultron had planned for Novi Grad, but it wouldn't be anything good.

And if Keira was to believe her nightmare, it would be devastating if Ultron succeeded. Despite her gut telling her that her dream was more than just some fantasy, she still hadn't shared it with anybody. She had only shared some vague details with Clint, since he had been the one who had calmed her down after being awakened by the nightmare.

And Natasha, of course, had gotten the same story after finding the two of them knocked out in the shower, still in their pajamas.

If Keira was being honest, she would rather be home in the tower, sleeping soundly in her bed, than be doing this.

They had barely had time to recover from the fight in Seoul before they were out again, and she was exhausted. If it weren't for the multiple energy drinks running through her system, she was sure that she would've collapsed a long time ago. And had she been human, her heart would probably have given up on her as well.

Being exhausted while being restless was the worst possible combination she could think of, and that's exactly how she felt. Restless because she didn't know what was happening to her best friend or what Ultron was planning. And exhausted due to barely having slept for the last couple of days.

In an attempt to fight her restlessness, the bouncing of her knee doing nothing to still it, she got up and walked over to Vision, who was standing in the corner, deep in thought.

"Hey, Vision." Keira said in a low voice, not wishing to gain all eyes on her, which undoubtedly would happen anyway, since the jet was dead-silent. The synthezoid looked up from the floor and met her eyes, slight curiosity shining in them. "I wanted to ask this earlier, but we kinda didn't get the time, you know, with the whole Ultron-thing going on. So, what are you, really? Like a living, breathing AI?" She asked, tilting her head slightly as she watched the synthezoid intently.