Chapter 62 - Take A Chance

Rising from her seat and wandering over to the back of the jet, Natasha couldn't help but smile as her eyes landed on Keira's sleeping figure. Wanda was still soundly asleep and somewhere along the way, Keira had also succumbed to the land of dreams.

Since Keira had been sitting up, brushing her fingers through Wanda's hair before she had fallen asleep, one might've thought that she would've just lulled back against the headrest as sleep overtook her.

But no, instead, Keira had somehow managed to rest her head on Wanda's waist, her spine bent at such a strange angle that it was a miracle it didn't break.

It looked really uncomfortable but Keira was snoozing gently, as if she didn't have a care in the world.

And because Natasha knew how much the two women needed the rest, she didn't wake the pair as the jet landed in Wakanda. T'Challa had been generous enough to offer Barnes sanctuary, to place him in cryo until they found a way to get HYDRA's words out of his head.

It was quite a turnaround from wanting to kill Barnes to offering to help him, which only proved the king's generosity.

Later, when they were back in the air again, Natasha placed a hand on the mutant's shoulder to gently nudge her awake.

Keira's eyebrows pulled together slightly as she stirred in her sleep before actually waking up, lifting her head from Wanda's waist. "W- What?" She tried to stifle a yawn by covering her mouth with her hand, but she failed miserably, the yawn running through her entire body, cracking her spine in the process. Her brain was still a bit sluggish, so she kept blinking blankly at Natasha, hoping it would somehow bring her thoughts back to speed.

"We need to figure out a plan, now that we're all fugitives of the law." Natasha smiled, one hand still on Keira's shoulder while she looked around the jet at her team.

Sliding the headphones he had managed to find in some dark hole in the jet, Clint joined the conversation. "Well, I need to get home." Glancing to his left, he continued, "Scott and I both need to. Maybe we can make some deal with the government so we're allowed to stay with our families. It's worth a try at least."

Scott was silently agreeing, nodding his head vigorously.

Everyone in the jet understood that. They were the ones with people to protect.

Steve swiveled his seat around, turning on the autopilot for just a moment so he could watch over his team. "What about you four?" He asked, his eyes jumping from Sam, to Natasha, to Keira, and lastly, to the still-sleeping Wanda.

Sam shrugged with a lazy smile on his lips. "Well, Cap. Every time I leave you, you get into trouble. So, I think I better stay by your side to keep you from getting killed or arrested."

That put a smile on Steve's lips. "I'm grateful, Sam. Who knows, maybe we'll even get into some vigilante work if the world needs it. Just gotta stay off the radar."

"Sounds like a plan, man." Sam grinned back.

"And I better stick with you boys. Clearly, you have a knack for getting caught without me." Natasha smiled. "Besides, I can't exactly go back to the compound now that Ross is after me."

"Since when do we have a knack for getting caught without you?" Sam exclaimed, feigning surprise.

"Two words. The Raft." Natasha raised a challenging eyebrow, which caused Sam to shrink back in his seat.

"Okay, okay, fair point." He muttered under his breath.

"And you two?"

Keira looked at Steve, who had asked the question, and gave a faint smile. "You already know I adore you guys. But being on the run in a big group, that's just asking to get caught. You and I both know that, Tasha." She glanced at the blonde spy, who nodded in confirmation. "So, I think it's better if we break off. I have an old safe house at the foot of the Alps in northern Italy that should be good for a couple of weeks at least. If you'd be kind enough to drop us off there, we'll manage." Giving the coordinates to Steve, she then looked down at Wanda and her smile grew.