Chapter 13 - Peace At Last

During the last couple of days, Keira hadn't left her apartment at all, not even once. She had been huddled under a blanket on the couch, her head on the armrest and it was amazing how her eyes hadn't turned to squares yet by her intense movie marathons. The ability to get food delivered to your door was a lifesaver in these situations.

But it was exactly what she needed, to be cut off from the world for a little while.

Her spine cracked in protest as she stretched out on the couch, preparing herself to wander over to the fridge. "Oh god, I'm not even twenty yet and I'm already cracking like a freaking glowstick. A true sign of a healthy youth." She murmured to herself as she listened with half an ear to the conversation on the TV. A buzzing sound came from her phone, and she rolled over to grab it from the living room table.

'Is the eremite safe for socialization yet? :)'

Natasha.

The redhead had been checking in with her every day. Just to make sure everything was fine, or rather, as good as it could be. Nightmares plagued her more than usual, and let's just say that the leviathans were even more haunting in her dreams. Its roars still echoed in her ears every time she shot awake.

'Soon, just need another day or two. Why? You miss me that much, huh?' Keira texted back quickly, shaking her head at the charming nickname.

It didn't take long before she got a response. Natasha was clearly sitting with her phone in her hand, which was an unusual occurrence in itself. 'Do I miss you? Doubtful :) However, I do need to kick someone's ass, and who's better than you? Clint's claiming he's on vacation, so he won't spar with me :('

Ah, so she was simply bored. That explained it. Before answering her however, Keira dragged herself off the couch and into the kitchen. Having free passage between the living room and the kitchen was truly both a blessing and a curse.

Her throat was dry and she took out a cola from the fridge, cracking it open and taking a big gulp before settling down on the sofa again. 'Thank you for that heartwarming sentiment :') You do realize that you're on vacation as well, right? Take a stroll in the forest or something. Smell the dirt. I'll accept a sparring session though, once I get there.'

'Promise?' Of course, Natasha ignored the part about relaxing. But getting a promise about a training session lightened up her mood immensely.

'Promise :)'

And with that, the conversation ended. Both of them knew that the other one was alive and breathing, which was the most important part.

Keira's eyes settled on the TV again, but she didn't really see it. A sort of restlessness had fallen over her, and she knew that if she stayed stationary, she'd go insane.

So instead, she opened the drawer of the living room table and pulled out several sheets of paper, scattering them across the table while pulling out the pen that held her ponytail together. The blonde hair cascaded down over her shoulders, and she shook her head to get it out of her face.

It had taken her some time to master the technique, but with the help of some YouTube videos, she was now able to put up her hair with the help of a pen pretty easily.

Getting to her feet again, she retrieved her guitar from the bedroom and settled down with the instrument in her lap, the TV still playing in the background. It wasn't a fancy guitar, just a plain black one that she had decorated with a few stickers.

Music was something that she found very therapeutic, whether he was listening to it, or making her own. Before she had discovered her powers, and she was abandoned, her parents had urged her to learn how to play an instrument. Despite her young age, she had proven to be very adept at it, to their delight.