Chapter 20 - Dreamless Slumber

"Ugh, I feel like I've been hit by a horse tranquilizer." Keira groaned as soon as she opened her eyes. A stone ceiling met her vision, but it wasn't the one she was used to. This one didn't have the grooves or cracks in the right places.

The chilly air hit her like a slap in the face, and goosebumps erupted on her naked arms. Normally, she had no problem with the cold, but after being in a tropical climate for so long, it felt like she was being doused in icy water. "Hold up... Cold?" Her voice was slightly hoarse, and she rubbed her eyes sleepily.

It took a while before her mind caught up with her senses, but then it clicked. Alexandra had been talking about relocation in order to help her with her struggles. However, Keira had no idea how traveling to another location would be able to help her in the quest to expand her field of diamond. Racking her brain, she realized that she had no recollection of getting on a plane at all, and considering the daze that lingered over her brain, she guessed that she had been sedated for the whole journey.

That was a relief, to be honest. Without Tony's Equalizers or something to distract herself with, the journey would've been torture.

As her hands fell limply to the side, having rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, one of her hands hit the cold stone floor, causing a shiver to run down her spine. She quickly retracted it, warming it in her armpit. Clearly, her body needed to acclimate to the cold, or she would be an icicle in no time.

"Okay, can't stay in bed all day." Keira groaned as she rolled out of bed. Her body hit the stone floor with a thud and a painful grunt escaped her lips before she got up to her hands and knees. "Well, that's one way to do it, I guess." She still wasn't completely awake, but the cold floor had done one thing right, and that was to drag her out of her drowsiness.

The familiar sound of a cell door swinging open caused her to look up.

To her surprise, it wasn't a guard, but rather Alexandra herself. "Well, good. You're finally awake. About time as well. I think the guards got a little bit carried away and went a little overboard with the sleeping drug. But judging from your state, it seems like you're able to feel and control all your limbs, so I'd say that's a win."

Keira raised an eyebrow and shot her a skeptical look before getting up on her feet. "A little overboard? You're kidding, right? More like they were trying to kill me. I feel like I have the hangover of a century." She huffed, scratching her neck before diving for the tray by the door.

It didn't contain much, just some moldy old bread, but she was starving. She could eat a whole horse if it was offered to her right now.

"Now, now. Manners, Topaz." Alexandra reprimanded lightly, waving a finger at her. "But yes, I noticed that they were a bit too enthusiastic. For a moment there, I fear they had succeeded in killing you as well. But since you're up and running again, why don't you follow me?" She said curtly. It was more of an order than a suggestion really, and they both knew it.

The scientist strolled out of the cell without so much as a backwards glance, and Keira obligingly followed her, munching on her slice of bread.

As they walked through the corridors, Keira couldn't help but strain her neck every time they passed a window. Call it an old habit, but she liked to know where she was. And gratefully, unlike the old facility, this one held lots more windows.

The rain gently tapped against them, and Keira followed the progress of the droplets as they raced each other down the glass. Unlike the surrounding she had grown used to, the mountains outside weren't covered in light green trees and colorful flowers.

No, these were covered in tall pines and spruces, spreading across the land as far as her eyes could see. Snow decorated the highest mountain tops, and she guessed it wouldn't be long before the snow lay heavy on the trees as well. Keira couldn't help the stab of recognition that surged through her at the sight of them. She was certain that she had seen these very forests before.