Chapter 88 - I Am Inevitable

With a clear goal in mind, aka Scott's van, Clint knew what he needed to do. Would it cause both Keira and Natasha to be furious with him? Absolutely.

But their fury would be worth it if it meant all three of them made it out alive.

"Seriously! The next time Earth suffers an alien invasion, consider me off-planet." Keira shouted over the ruckus while burying her blade in an alien's chest. Yeah, after this, she might even consider retirement because damn, she was tired of fighting.

The alien let out a death wail while it clawed at her arm in a desperate attempt to free itself. But it didn't do any good and Keira just pushed her sword deeper, trying to ignore the crunching sound of bones breaking. She pulled it out with a disgusting squelch and turned her head to the side to avoid any blood splatter. "I want a vacation!"

"You and me both!" Clint ducked down under the fallen Chitauri's spear and leaped to the side to avoid getting shot.

To say it was mayhem on the battlefield was an understatement. When new aliens caught Keira and Natasha's attention again, he took his chance and sprinted off in a completely different direction. "Thanks for the help!"

The gauntlet posed a huge risk since it was sought after by everyone on the battleground and if he got it away from his friends, it would at least decrease their chance of dying, even if it wasn't by much.

"What the hell, Clint?!" Natasha yelled after the archer. His departure distracted her so much that she missed the rampaging alien charging at her from the side. It managed to knock her to the ground before she got out her batons at the last second.

The alien's four arms clawed at the ground as it desperately tried to bite Natasha's head off and the only thing that stopped it from doing so, were the batons that pressed up against its throat. "Uh, a little help?" She called out while turning her head to the side to avoid the snapping jaws of the alien.

Keira barely had time to register Clint's disappearance but after hearing Natasha's cry for help, she swiftly disposed of the alien in front of her. "I swear, if he gets killed, I'm gonna drag him back from hell myself." She muttered to herself as she ran over to Natasha.

The alien's neck split open as her sword sliced across it and she pushed the swaying beast's body to the side before it had a chance to fall to the ground. "Hello there." A dorky smile stretched her lips and she bent down to offer her best friend a hand.

"General Kenobi." Natasha played along, an equally dorky smile on her lips. Sure, they were in the middle of a battle but some humor was always needed. She gratefully took Keira's hand and pulled herself up to her feet.

"I'm always happy to be your knight in shining armor." After a quick glance at her outfit, Keira pursed her lips. "Well, matte armor I suppose if you wanna be picky." She shrugged after a moment's thought.

"Glad you feel that way. Better stay that way though." Natasha's eyes playfully narrowed at her last sentence, something that caused the mutant to chuckle.

Keira nearly hopped up and down on the spot in happiness, and she had to stop herself from throwing her arms around the redhead. "You actually got my reference! Now I can die happy!" She squeaked but her joy was cut short as the aliens ganged up on them again.

Like all the other times before, the fighting embraced them with open arms, thereby drowning out anything else.

It was like falling back on an old habit. Her body moved purely on autopilot. Keira barely had time to breathe, even less so to think. All she knew was the feeling of her sword slicing through flesh and bone.

The chatter in her comm seemed to never end and it didn't take long until it made her question her sanity. Who in the hell had thought an open line between all of them had been a good idea? She silently cursed them all under her breath and tried to pull herself back to the present.