Chapter 52 - Fallout

A deep sigh left Keira's lips as she frustratedly ran her fingers through her hair. Getting back from Lagos had been a complete nightmare. Not only was the entire team disappointed that they had been unable to drag Rumlow to justice, but the whole world was once again doubting their abilities.

The wave of unease that had shaken the world after the whole ordeal with Ultron and Sokovia hadn't settled, and the event in Lagos had only brought more fuel to that fire.

It had been hard on all of them, but Wanda most of all. The Sokovian blamed herself, and solely herself, which was why she tried to lock herself away. But Keira didn't let her.

She knew better than anyone that blaming yourself only made the whole situation worse, and it did nothing but fuel the self-hatred. Which was exactly why she kept dragging Wanda out for training sessions, or simply getting the brunette to eat. The guilt was consuming Wanda, and thus, making her feel unworthy of any attention.

Walking through the corridor with a peanut butter sandwich on a plate, Keira's attention was drawn to the open door of Wanda's room. She had already been on the way over there, making sure that Wanda got some breakfast in her, but the voice seeping through the doorway made Keira's stomach drop.

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri-"

Wanda didn't even turn around to acknowledge Keira's presence when she shut the TV off. She had already felt her coming, knowing the routines by now, so she just kept her eyes on the now black screen. "It's my fault." The guilt in Wanda's voice was unmistakable and Keira felt her heart shatter at the vulnerable tone.

"That's not true." Keira shook her head, crossed the room, and kneeled down in front of Wanda. It pained her that Wanda was blaming herself for something she couldn't help. It wasn't fair. Wanda had done the best she could, and that should've been enough.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." Wanda countered, finally ripping her eyes away from the TV to meet Keira's gaze. Despite her best attempts to shut herself away from the world, it seemed impossible with Keira around. And while deep down, she appreciated the blonde's determination to not let her wallow in self-pity, her brain still didn't want to accept the words of reassurance.

And to see her name all over the news, hearing how the whole world blamed her for what happened in Lagos, didn't exactly make things easier.

"They're just looking for a scapegoat to put all the blame on. The only thing the world loves more than a hero, is to see a hero fail. Don't listen to them, Wanda. If you hadn't done what you did, a lot more people would've died, including Steve. And that is worth a whole lot more, whatever the world might say." Keira said sincerely, grasping one of Wanda's hands and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

The movement had a dual purpose. One; was to try and convince Wanda that her words were truthful. Two; was to stop Wanda from fiddling with her hands, something that often occurred when the brunette was anxious.

Feeling another presence behind her, Keira turned around to see Steve.

The man was leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. "She's right, you know. I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." He unfolded his arms and took a few steps closer to the women before settling down beside Wanda on the bed. "Rumlow said 'Bucky'... and all of a sudden, I was a sixteen-year-old kid from Brooklyn again."

The soldier's shoulders sagged. "And people died. It's on me."

"It's on all of us." Keira sighed. If the team hadn't been there in the first place, Rumlow never would've blown up. They couldn't blame specific members; they were a team. And with that, they either rose as one, or fell as one.