Chapter 89 - Lost Without You

Wanda

Thirteen weeks.

Thirteen whole weeks since Thanos and his armies turned to dust. Nearly three months since everything returned to normal.

According to every science, and every theory, Wanda should be happy.

Those who had turned to ash five years ago, were finally reunited with their loved ones.

Wakanda had its king and princess back. Clint had his wife and kids back. Steve was reunited with Bucky again, and Peter found himself as the missing piece in the Stark family, shouldering the responsibility of being a big brother to Morgan as if he had never done anything else.

And last, but far from least, Natasha had her sister back.

While the return of the population had brought some problems, not completely unexpected, most people were still happy to have everyone back. And those who had suffered five years without their loved ones, just fought to forget the times of hardship.

But happiness was the last feeling Wanda felt.

How could she possibly feel anything other than the despair eating away at her heart?

For her, it hadn't been years since she was forced to blow the Mind Stone to pieces. It had only been a couple of weeks.

No funeral could be held for Vision either.

From what she had been told, after the chaos that went down in Wakanda, the Avengers had held on to his body for a while, in the hope of reviving him. Because those who remained clung to the hope that Vision's life wasn't completely tied to the Mind Stone, but that there was a chance for him to live without it.

Even if it didn't seem possible, they still believed in it.

And after they got Tony back from space, the man had tried tirelessly to try and bring the synthezoid back online. But to no avail.

Vision's body remained the sickly grey color it had attained after the Mind Stone was ripped out from his forehead. And after endless attempts to revive him, even Tony was forced to admit defeat.

It was no surprise to any of them that the synthezoid's body was highly sought after, especially by the government.

That amount of vibranium wasn't meant to just be put in the ground, according to them at least. And while Tony fought for the right to give Vision a proper funeral, or at least keep his body away from the government's greedy hands, the Accords proved to be a complication.

Due to the fact that they both signed it, the Avengers were practically forced to turn the synthezoid's body over to the government.

That was when Natasha had voiced an idea that caused many eyebrows to rise in surprise.

SWORD.

Maria Rambeau, director of SWORD was rumored to be a kind-hearted, just woman, something that Carol could vouch for. And as Maria promised to honor Vision's last wish, they agreed that SWORD would be a good place for his body.

All the synthezoid ever wished for, was to not become a weapon.

Instead, he wanted to be of service in other ways. So, his body would solely be used for observation and research purposes.

Unfortunately, thanks to the chaos reigning over the five years with half the population gone, the Avengers were not informed of Maria Rambeau's tragic passing. And thereby, they were in the dark when it came to the new director of SWORD, Tyler Hayward.

He did not honor Vision's last wish but rather took the opportunity to weaponize the synthezoid. For Vision was not a person in his eyes. He was but a machine. Not a someone, but a something.