Chapter 44 - Train Wreck

Just like the plane ride home from Africa, the one over to Seoul had been a quiet one. Although, this time it was less due to the fact that the team was stuck in whatever vision Wanda had forced them to see, and more because they all tried to occupy themselves so they didn't have to think about the power Ultron would gain if he succeeded in attaining a vibranium body.

The wind immediately pulled at Keira's hair as soon as she got out of the jet and onto the rooftop.

Steve, of course, wasn't bothered at all and merely walked over to the edge with confident steps, looking at Dr. Cho's lab in the distance.

"Two minutes. Stay close." He ordered, his eyes momentarily left the lab to glance up at the jet that disappeared among the clouds.

Instead of walking the streets below, Keira and Steve navigated through the city by jumping from rooftop to rooftop. While doing so, Keira almost felt like a video game character. "You know, I understand that we need to land a distance away so we don't get caught, but this feels like a bit of an overkill." She panted while sliding down a fire escape.

"You wouldn't have any problem with it if you would've joined me on my runs." Steve shrugged, but he shortened his steps slightly, nevertheless. Getting out to the lab would mean easily getting spotted since the bridge over there didn't exactly hold any hiding places.

Keira couldn't refrain from rolling her eyes and groaned. "That again? Seriously, you need to let things go, Steve. I did join you. For a while."

"Yeah, and now you're out of shape again. Whose fault is that?" Steve raised an eyebrow in her direction.

Instead of answering, she slapped his shoulder, to which he only shrugged. "See anything above?" She asked, wanting to know if there were any lookouts stationed in the windows of the lab. It was quiet out on the dock, but she didn't trust it.

"Looks like you're in the clear. But make it quick." Clint answered simply.

Keira gave a nod of thanks, not that he'd be able to see it but still. Sprinting across the bridge over to the lab with Steve beside her, she could already tell that something was wrong. The building looked unharmed, but something told her that it wasn't as calm as it seemed to be.

And her suspicion wasn't misplaced. The very moment that the glass doors slid open, their worst fear was confirmed. The receptionist, a young man in a suit, lay over the reception desk, his face hidden by his bushy hair with blood dripping from his fingertips.

"He's already here. Stay alert."

As they moved through the facility, the body count kept going up. It seemed like Ultron had made sure that he wouldn't have any witnesses to whatever he had been doing. But it didn't seem like he was still here, it was way too silent for that.

Just like in a horror movie when the music quietens down just before the jumpscare happens.

Finally turning the corner into what seemed to be the lab, Keira had to stop in the doorway. The lights were flickering, and multiple cables sparked ominously from the walls.

"Dr. Cho!" Steve called out, jogging towards the slumping form of a woman.

Keira quickly joined his side, and to her surprise, Dr. Cho was still alive, although judging from the dark bloodstain on her chest, she had lost a lot of blood. She quickly grabbed a cloth from the countertop and pressed it against the wound, causing Dr. Cho to groan in pain.

"He's uploading himself into the body." She panted, holding a hand over Keira's.

"Where?" Steve asked urgently.