Chapter 66 - Unsuspected Consequences

"Sounds like you had a vacation compared to us. How'd you pull that off?" Sam asked indignantly as he trudged over to the back of the jet, letting the autopilot take over for a while.

Keira simply shrugged. "Oh, you know. Old habits die hard. Multiple offshore accounts and good contacts. Can't bet all my money on one horse." If there was anything that HYDRA had taught her, it was exactly that.

You always needed to have backup plan upon backup plan in case something went wrong. That was exactly why, from the first second she had been freed and earned her first salary, had made sure to split it into multiple accounts.

"Huh, makes sense I guess." Sam agreed, raising an impressed eyebrow. "Any other exciting news?"

Keira couldn't help the wide smile that painted her lips at those words and glancing to the side, she saw that her expression was mirrored on Wanda's face. The emerald eyes she always found herself drowning in, were twinkling mischievously as the redhead untangled their fingers to hold out both hers and Keira's left hands.

Whereas the diamond on Wanda's ring glittered silver, the ruby on Keira's shone scarlet in the dim light.

Sam's mouth fell open in shock, forming a perfect 'o', while Natasha's eyes widened. Barely a second passed before she jumped out of her seat and threw her arms around the pair.

A small whine slipped past Keira's lips as she was suddenly crushed underneath Natasha, the spy's arms hugging her tightly. The half-healed wounds in her stomach were constantly making themselves known, but she couldn't help the wide smile that tugged on her lips despite the pain.

Steve, who had absentmindedly been gazing out of the front window, now walked to the back of the jet to see what all the commotion was about. But the frown that had been constant on his face for over a year now, broke out into a smile as he grabbed Keira's shoulder, squeezing it gently. "You got married?"

"Not yet, just engaged." Wanda beamed, leaning over Natasha's body that was wedged in between her and Keira to press a kiss to her fiancée's cheek. To see how overjoyed their friends were for their sake, despite having just rescued them from their own stupid mistake, meant the world to her.

"I'm so happy for you two." Natasha whispered, clearing her throat loudly before pushing herself off them to return to her seat opposite them beside Sam.

Sam was grinning so broadly that his cheeks were beginning to hurt, and he looked between the two women in front of him. "Who popped the question? Wait, no. Don't tell me. It was..." He put a finger up to his lips as he pretended to ponder his own question. In the end, he pointed at the blonde. "Keira."

Keira jutted her bottom lip and narrowed her eyes slightly. "Am I really that predictable?" She whined, adjusting her seat so she could lay down with her head in Wanda's lap. The latter's fingers immediately started to comb through her hair, gently scraping her scalp occasionally which sent shivers down her spine.

"Duh. You've been throwing heart eyes at Wanda for as long as I can remember."

Keira didn't bother to lift her head, but she lifted her hand and pointed a warning finger at the man. "Shut it, Wilson. I have not."

"Have too." Sam childishly stuck his tongue out, something Keira could see in the corner of her eye. He was glad to have Keira back. To have someone that he could playfully bicker with was something he had missed during the two years on the run. Sure, he could throw sarcastic comments at Natasha, but at a certain point, the spy turned too scary.

Instead of continuing to argue whether or not she had been enchanted by Wanda from the beginning, Keira merely arched an eyebrow and glanced up at the redhead, whose face was hovering about hers. "Well, can you blame me? She's the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on."