Chapter 43 - Projects

Keira just watched the bedroom slowly turn darker as the sun made its way across the heavens. Despite not having been forced to relive any of her worst fears or memories, she still felt like she had. Because it was almost impossible to shut out the howling voices of feelings and thoughts from her teammates. With a small sigh, she let her head fall back against the headboard.

The team would be able to recover, they always did. The only question was; how long would it take this time?

Natasha stirred in her sleep, causing Keira to look down at her sleeping figure. Her eyebrows were furrowed together and it looked like she was chewing the inside of her cheek. But as Keira gently brushed a hand through the red locks, Natasha's brows slowly unknotted and her face relaxed.

The day had taken a toll on Natasha, not only physically but mentally as well. After their little talk, both women had collapsed in bed, Natasha with her head in Keira's lap.

But unlike her friend, Keira seemed unable to sleep. Her mind was simply too preoccupied, and it wasn't nearly exhausted enough to grant her some peace. Would she get any wiser by mulling things over? Probably not.

So, with slow moments, so as to not wake the spy in her lap, Keira untangled herself and put her feet down on the hardwood floor. Before she left the room, however, she tucked a blanket around Natasha's sleeping form.

Climbing down the stairs without making a sound was easy. After all, she had spent a lot of time in this house, and therefore knew exactly which floorboards would creak, so she made it to the kitchen without trouble.

Clint was standing there, absentmindedly looking out of the window with a bowl of cereal in his hand.

"Managed to spot any flying elephants yet?" Keira asked casually, folding her arms over her chest and tilting her head.

"Oh, Jesus!" Clint shrieked, jumping so badly that he nearly spilled his cereal.

Keira pursed her lips in thought before shaking her head. "Hm, no. I appreciate that you believe I'm godly, but I think I'll reserve that title for Thor. Thank you though." She chuckled, scooting over so she could join him by the window.

Clint playfully rolled his eyes. "Be glad I didn't spill my cereal, or you would've been forced to clean up."

"Pfft, and here I thought your birdlike reflexes wouldn't allow for such mortal things to happen." Keira shrugged, the corners of her lips twitching slightly. "And besides, I clean up my own messes, but you spilling your cereal merely because you're a chicken, doesn't count."

"Watch it. You're still under my roof." Clint warned, pointing a finger at the blonde, but his twinkling eyes made it clear that it was all a joke.

"So?" Keira's smile broke into a smirk as she brushed her hair over her shoulder. "Besides, I know who's in charge of this place, and I'm terribly sorry to break the news to you, Clinton, but it's not you. And knowing your wife, she'll put up a fight before she banishes me off these grounds."

"I'm afraid she's right about that, honey." A soft voice said from behind them, causing them both to spin around.

"See? Told you." Keira shot a victorious smile in Clint's direction before crossing the room and embracing Laura in a one-armed hug. "Thanks for having my back."

"Of course, we girls gotta stay together." Laura chuckled, throwing her arms around the blonde.

Clint merely grumbled a few incoherent words under his breath from his place by the window, but he was watching the hug between his wife and friend with warm eyes.

After having released Laura, something out on the porch drew Keira's attention. "No way..." She muttered distractedly, moving out of the kitchen and into the hall. In front of Tony, a person she hadn't seen for a very long time was walking. "Director Furry. Never thought I'd see you again." She mused, raising an eyebrow before doing a mock salute at the man.