Chapter 77 - Playground

3 years later

"I don't think I've ever seen you dance before."

Keira's voice was quiet, softer than normal but it still cracked like a whip in the silent room, the low tunes of a piano playing in the background.

Natasha, who had been completely immersed in her own world, was startled so badly that she flinched, her arms immediately dropping to her sides. A light frown creased her eyebrows and her shoulders slumped as her gaze left the mirror to meet the mutant's gaze. "I've never really allowed myself to revisit these old ghosts before..." She started softly, her voice slightly hoarse after hours of not using it. "But you know what? It's actually kinda freeing. I can finally do it without feeling like I'm drowning."

"It takes a lot to conquer your demons like that. I'm proud of you, Tasha." Keira said appreciatively before she slid down the wall-length mirror until she hit the floor and crossed her legs. The polished wooden surface was so shiny that she could nearly see her own reflection in it, and she hummed along quietly to the soft tunes of the classical music that still played in the speakers.

Natasha just observed Keira for a moment, but it didn't take long until she sat down beside the mutant and leaned her head back against the mirror with a tired sigh. Every day it felt like she was balancing on the edge of a black abyss that was threatening to pull her down until she couldn't see the stars in the sky above her.

The only thing that kept her from falling into its arms, was Keira.

And without even knowing, Natasha was the one thing that kept Keira sane as well. She had always thought of the redhead as her platonic soulmate, and now, after being back at the compound again, it had become clearer than ever that this really was the case.

The moment Wanda had turned to dust, Keira's world had become black and grey. But thanks to Natasha, it had regained a little bit of color, and every day, the pain of her loss became a little bit easier to carry.

"You know..." Keira began slowly, pursing her lips slightly as if she was pondering the words she was about to say. In the corner of her eye, she saw Natasha glance at her, and to make her little act even more dramatic, she put a thoughtful finger to her chin. "I never really asked why you didn't kill me that day. Why you decided to save me and take me under your wing that snowy night back in... 2010, or was it 2009? Was it the fact that you couldn't resist my impeccable charm or-"

"Oh, shut up." A quiet chuckle escaped Natasha's lips as she playfully swatted at the mutant's shoulder. "For your information, it was late 2009." Her gaze found the ceiling as her brow furrowed in thought. She was quiet for a few seconds as her mind took her back to that stormy night in Svalbard. "I think... You reminded me of someone that I used to know a long time ago. And when you met my eyes that night, I saw a glint of myself. The horror and helplessness I knew far too well, was etched across your face. And..." She sighed deeply and dragged her hands over her face. "And Clint taught me that the best shot in your life, can be the one you never take."

Keira's eyes had turned slightly glossy the longer she listened to Natasha's words, but the fact that she had resembled someone from the redhead's past was news to her. "Do I dare ask?"

Natasha wrapped her arms around her knees, hugging them close to her chest, and then rested her chin on top of them. "Her name was... Yelena. We were both trained in the Red Room, and even if I didn't want to admit it at the time... She really was my sister. You reminded me of her that night." Shaking her head slightly, a few stray hairs that weren't tied up in her ponytail fell in front of her face. Almost as if they wanted to shield her from the world.

"She..." Keira threw a careful glance at Natasha, not having missed the use of past tense. "She dusted too, didn't she?"

Natasha's lips remained sealed, but she nodded faintly in answer, her eyes misting up.