Chapter 23 - Try For The Moon

"You disobeyed my orders, Topaz." Alexandra began, her head resting in one hand while the other was twirling a pen around.

Keira averted her gaze to the floor, but she hadn't missed the tired look in the scientist's eyes. The caramel-colored hair wasn't up in the normally perfect bun, but rather a messy one, baby hairs sticking out here and there. And nobody could miss the dark shadows that could be seen underneath the amber eyes.

"I'm sorry." Keira apologized, trying her hardest to keep her swinging legs still as the blood was being drawn from the vein in her arm. She knew it could mess with her blood pressure and passing out in the middle of the lab was not something she fancied. Been there, done that. "I didn't mean to disobey your orders, but the food on the ground would've turned bad if I would've left it there. And I believe that Dr. Stroup's wishes may have left my brain a little confused." She continued, tapping her temple with her free hand.

It was a bad apology, and she knew it. Because the truth was that she felt rather safe around the twins, no matter their powers.

Alexandra heaved a great sigh and put down her pen with unnecessary force, which startled the mutant, who flinched. "You shall obey the doctors, yes. But first and foremost, it's my orders that matter. Is that understood, Topaz?" She asked sternly as she got up from the desk and walked over to the blonde.

Keira still held her gaze firmly on the floor, intent on not giving the doctor any reason to punish her. It was already a miracle that she hadn't been punished for the insubordinations she had done so far. And while she knew that her compliance was mainly due to the robot in her neck, it was still weird to think that it was there. Because while she could feel every time that it interjected her with chemicals, she didn't lose herself completely.

It was as though she was still there, but parts of her were dampened. Or maybe, that's just what it felt like for her. Because while she had her memories, they didn't hold a special place in her heart anymore. It was just like watching someone else's life.

"I understand. Your orders are the ones that matter." Keira repeated obediently. She saw the needle being withdrawn from her arm but kept her gaze low. With the scientist being both stressed and tired, she didn't want to push her limits.

"Look at me."

Keira obligingly did as she was told and met the doctor's gaze.

"I know what I said just as Mr. Maximoff had just gone through his exposure to the stone. But after some discussion with Dr. List and Dr. Stroup, we have decided that it's best if you keep an eye on the twins. Your enhanced speed and strength will be a good tool in keeping them under control. And you already share one power with miss Maximoff, so maybe you'll be able to help her expand her other abilities." Alexandra said, grabbing the mutant's jaw and turning her head from left to right.

Keira didn't struggle against the grip, but her eyes widened a fraction when the doctor's words finally got processed in her brain. "You want me to supervise the Maximoffs? And regarding miss Maximoff, did she gain multiple powers?" She asked, her voice trembling slightly.

It was two days after the twins' exposures to the stone, and Keira hadn't been allowed near them since her mistake of entering Pietro's cell to clean up the spilled food. So, she had no idea how their evaluation had gone. She had just been stuck in the training room, the lab, or her cell, depending on what time of the day it was.

Alexandra let go of the mutant's face with a sigh. "That's what I just said. Regarding miss Maximoff, we do not know what other abilities she might've gained yet. But we want you to help them develop." Some of the hairs escaped her bun and fell into her face, but she didn't bother to push them behind her ear.