Chapter 11 - An Invasion From Outer Space - Part 2

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asked as he readjusted his grip on the shield, the group approaching the god.

"The power surrounding the Cube is impenetrable." Thor answered matter of factly. Oh, that's great. Just great.

"Thor's right. We gotta deal with these guys." Stark's voice broke through the comms that had stayed silent for so long. From the way he was saying that however, it didn't seem like they had a way to deal with the portal. At least not yet.

"How do we do this?" Natasha questioned from beside Keira. The redhead had turned towards the Captain, as he was the one in charge on the ground.

"As a team."

"Great sentiment, Cap. Wouldn't a plan be more preferable though?" Keira questioned, her head slightly tilted to the side.

The Chitauri kept coming, a never-ending flow of aliens out of the portal and if they didn't do anything soon, they would have no chance of containing them.

Steve opened his mouth to retort but Thor cut across him. "I have unfinished business with Loki."

"You and me both, Thunderbolt." Keira smirked, rolling one of her shoulders that had gotten a hit during the fighting. Thor gave her a faint smile at the nickname, and she gave him a joking wink in return.

"Yeah. Get in line." Clint joined in, adjusting his arrowheads.

"Save it." The Captain cut in. "Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us, and that's what we need. Without him, these things could run wild. We got Stark up top. He's gonna need us to..." Steve quieted down as the faint sound of a motorcycle reached their ears and they all turned towards the noise.

The vehicle soon came to a stop, Banner stepping off it and the group moved to join him. He looked disheveled, dust in his hair and wearing clothes that obviously weren't his. Keira gave him a kind smile, as the Hulk might be exactly what they needed at the moment, in order to turn the fight in their favor. "So, this all seems horrible." He said, gesturing around.

"I've seen worse." Natasha said, a look of caution on her face. To anybody else, it might've sounded like Natasha was trying to comfort Banner, telling him that this wasn't as bad as he might think.

But Keira knew exactly what she was referring to. However, if she compared the two situations, she'd rather go another round against the Hulk than an infinite alien army.

"Sorry." He apologized to her, but his eyes also found Keira's. She shrugged her shoulders. He had nothing to be sorry about. It wasn't his fault he couldn't control his alter-ego. Accidents happen, whether you want them to or not.

"No, we could use a little worse." Natasha replied. An apology wasn't what she was after.

"Stark, we got him." Steve informed the flying man.

"Banner?"

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you." Ah, great. Keira could already imagine what Stark meant by party.

And sure enough, as soon as Stark rounded the corner, her eyes fell on the gigantic leviathan following him, one of its fins slicing through a nearby building. A party indeed. Beside her, Thor readied his hammer with a small snarl as the leviathan approached them quickly. Keira clenched her fists, getting into a fighting stance even though she doubted that she could put up much of a fight against the giant alien. All the others just followed its progress in shock.

"I- I don't see how that's a party." Natasha stuttered. It felt a bit odd to hear the fear lacing her voice, as the spy normally was so composed.

Keira moved in front of the redhead, making sure to shield her in case the big alien wasn't stopped. Sure, it might not be much, but a little protection was better than none. "Even if it's not a party, we'll surely go out with a bang." She commented, watching as the alien snapped its jaws at Stark. Her comment earned her a light shove in the back from Natasha, who didn't think it was the right time for a sarcastic comment. Keira only rolled her eyes in response to this, still making sure to keep the redhead behind her as the alien came closer and closer.