Chapter 23

I woke up on the couch in Jack's arms and it took a moment for me to remember everything that happened yesterday. I looked up at him and saw he was still asleep. I rested my head on his chest and ran my fingers through his hair. 

He woke up gently and blinked a couple of times before looking at me. As soon as he saw me, he smiled. 

"Good morning, Love," he said in a gravelly morning voice. 

I smiled and gazed at him for a few seconds. 

"Morning, Jack," I replied. 

He scooped me up and stood up with me in his arms. He began walking with me to the kitchen. 

"Not that I'm complaining but why are you carrying me?" I asked. 

"Because I like having you in my arms," he told me in his charming accent. 

I smiled and rested my head on his shoulder. When we got to the kitchen, he set me down and I stood in front of him with my hands on his chest. 

I stood up on my tippy toes to kiss him and he gladly accepted it. He wrapped his arms around my waist and leaned down to reach my lips. He pulled away and I stared at him, my thoughts racing. 

I thought about the past few months without him and everything that happened before then. Caden was a distant thought, no longer bringing me any pain. 

"So, listen, Love. I gotta disappear for a few hours for work. But, I know you kinda have trauma with that, so I just want to assure you that it's work," he told me gently. 

I felt my heart soften at how considerate he was of my feelings. I smiled and let out a soft breath of air. 

"Thank you. So, this work... it's the kidneys?" I asked awkwardly. 

"Yeah.." he replied, also somewhat uncomfortable. 

I nodded and inhaled sharply. He stood up and touched my face briefly before grabbing his keys off the counter. 

"I'll be back in a little bit, then I want to take you out, okay?" he told me. 

I nodded and waved as he went out the door. When he left, I let out a deep breath and wandered up to my room. 

------ Jack's P.O.V. --------

As I drove away, I felt bad. I knew she had a lot of questions that I left unanswered. But as much as I wanted to tell her everything, I was afraid. 

She didn't know how dark my life was. Now that I knew she was an angel, I felt even worse. Like I would stain her in some way. I pressed my foot harder into the gas, wanting to get this over with as quickly as possible. 

When I arrived, I put my car in park and got out, slamming my car door behind me. I walked into the dark, dingy building and descended the two flights of stairs leading to the basement. 

I opened the vaulted door and walked in, shutting it behind me. 

There was a man lying on the metal table, strapped down at the wrists and ankles with his face down. He was unconscious, as they always were, which made it easier. There were machines hooked up to him, monitoring his vitals.

I grabbed his file and skimmed it, quickly. In the top right corner, the words 'FOR SALE' were in bold. 

I tossed the file on a table and wheeled a metal cart next to the man. I pulled up a chair, raised it to the proper height, and took a seat. 

I put on a pair of latex gloves and looked at the tools laid out to my side. I grabbed the scalpel, the only one I ever needed, and rolled myself closer to the man.