Chapter 10

It had been about two weeks and my relationship with Caden was a bit strange, but he was giving me all his attention. I filled Jack in on what happened and he seemed happy for me. He was the best friend I needed.

We were hanging out at his house, down in his basement room. I hadn't had any more interactions with his two roommates, but I didn't really mind.

I was sitting on Jack's lap and his arm was innocently around my waist.

"No, I fucking told ya, the guy's a wanker. Stop rooting for him," he said, jokingly frustrated. I giggled, enjoying messing with him.

"Okay, okay. Then what happened?"

"Well, what do you think happened?"

"I think he succeeded at his first double backflip in front of everyone. That sounds exactly like what happened."

"He broke his leg, an arm, and a wrist." He shook his head a bit.

"Awww noooo. Jimmyyyy. I was rooting for him."

"I know you were." The annoyance leaked pretty obviously from his voice. I smiled poked his face.

"Don't get grumpy."

"I'm not grumpy, Love."

"Good. Alright, I gotta run. Can we hang out tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure. I'll text you."

"Mkay. Byeeeeeee." I stood up from his lap and he waved with a little smile. As soon as I left his house, my body felt normal again. Being around him was like a high. He made me feel so relaxed and I was free to be myself.

But every time he touched me, I felt a spark accompanied by butterflies. I ignored it every time though. I figured it was just my excitement about a new friend.

* * * * 

I was on my way to campus to discuss my internship. I wasn't sure what it was about, but my counselor told me to come in. I was honestly pretty nervous, and I felt like I was going to in trouble. I knew that was ridiculous since I didn't do anything wrong. 

I rolled my window down a little more and let my hand drift in the wind as I drove with one hand. I had chill music playing that gave off a nice vibe. It reminded me of the summer, which i was itching for. I had always loved the feeling of summer. It was a season of endless opportunities for adventure. 

I pulled into the parking lot outside of my counselor's office, and I turned my car off. I took a deep breath before convincing myself to get out and go inside. 

I was greeted with the familiar dark wood of the office, which I had been surrounded in multiple times. I needed a lot of help with my major and career throughout my college years, so the office became a second home. I knocked softly on the door before entering and taking a seat in the large leather chair. 

"Hi, Y/N. How are you doing?" my counselor asked, continuing to type something on her computer. 

"I'm alright," I replied. 

"Sorry, I'm just finishing up this email."

"No problem," I said with a small smile. 

I waited a few more minutes, listening to the gentle tapping of her keyboard. 

"Okay, sorry about that," she said as she turned her attention to me. 

I smiled, waiting to hear why I was called down to the office. 

"So, Rebecca and her team over in England were really impressed with your internship and would like to offer you a job with them," she told me. 

That was the opposite of what I was expecting to hear. I didn't know how to respond or what to think.