Chapter 31

I opened the door to Jack's large room and found him lying on his bed. I still couldn't get over how large each of the rooms were. They reminded me of palace rooms belonging to royalty in older centuries.

Jack sat up when I came in, and he seemed upset. I walked up to him and furrowed my eyebrows, trying to read him. I wanted to see his eyes, so I thought of them and they appeared. They were red and a bit swollen, and I could tell he had been crying.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked as I sat on the bed next to him.

He nodded somberly and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him tightly in response. I wasn't sure what was causing his emotions, but I was nervous that it had something to do with me.

"What's wrong?" I asked nervously as I pulled away from the hug to look into his beautiful blue eyes.

"Nothing's wrong with me and you, Love. Don't worry," he reassured me, seemingly sensing my worries.

I let out a small sigh of relief and then grabbed his hands.

"Thank fuck. Then what's wrong?" I asked.

"Well, Slender wanted to... warn me, I guess, since Chernobog is gonna be, like, active... and he just told me what I was like after the sacrifice and it... it scared me, Y/N," he said seriously.

I put a hand on the side of his face and gave him an empathetic look. He put his hand over mine.

"Do you wanna tell me about it? If you don't, that's completely okay," I told him.

"No, I do... He said that when I was possessed, I was absolutely mental. I apparently killed everyone involved in the ritual and ate all of their kidneys. And I guess I killed everyone I came into contact with before Slender found me..."

"Oh, wow," I paused to think for a moment, "Well, that wasn't you, Jack. It was Chernobog," I offered as I turned my body to face him entirely.

"Yeah, I guess that's what scares me. I know it wasn't me, but he did it through me, and I had no control over it. And I have no memory of it at all. I just don't like the idea that someone else did that stuff through me if that makes sense," he looked very visibly upset as he spoke.

"Yeah, I completely get what you're saying. I'm really sorry that happened to you," I said.

I didn't feel like there was really much I could say to make him feel better, so I just tried to be there for him.

"It's okay," he paused to let out a big sigh, "It also terrifies me that you'll see me like that when you try to get him out. I'm afraid of losing control of myself and hurting you," he seemed even more visibly pained by this part.

"Jack, it won't be you hurting me. I know that," I told him as I looked into his eyes and put my hands on either side of his face.

He put his hands on my hips and shook his head.

"I know that too, but it'll still be my body that does it, and I hate the thought of that. I would never lay a hand on you like that and it makes me sick to think that I might," he explained as he seemed to be choking back tears.

"Hey," I said as I ran my hands through his hair in an attempt to soothe him, "I'm not going to do anything until I know what we're dealing with and am prepared for it, okay? And I totally understand your feelings, but I'm an angel. This is why I was sent down here, and I know it's probably going to be difficult, but I can handle it. I'd deal with anything to get him out of you and set you free, alright?"

He stared at me for a moment before nodding, accepting what I told him.

"Okay," he breathed quietly, seeming okay with my answer.