Chapter 4

I woke up in the middle of the night, startled from a nightmare. I was restless and unable to fall back asleep. Caden was always good at helping me fall asleep, but he wasn't home. I tried watching TV quietly, but that didn't help. I sighed as an idea popped into my head. 

I rose from my bed and stood in front of my closet. What am I supposed to wear? Sweatpants seem too informal, but I certainly don't want to dress up. God I haven't done this in so long. I settled on a pair of leggings and a sweater. It seemed like a happy medium.

I opened my nightstand and grabbed the folded piece of paper. I glanced at the address, then returned it to its place. I put on a pair of vans, grabbed my phone and coat, then walked out my door.

I glanced down at the screen of my phone: "2:03" it read. It was pitch black, aside from the few streetlights spaced evenly between houses. The silence was eerie. There were no cars or people outside, but that wasn't exactly surprising. Still, I imagined I wouldn't be alone. I had the feeling that I was being watched, but I figured it was me grasping at the thought of not actually being alone.

Even the animals all seemed to be preoccupied, and I was the only figure in the area. I looked up and saw the moon shining brightly. It gave me some odd sense of security.

When I got to the house, I examined it briefly to find that it fit in with the other houses in the neighborhood. I don't know why I expected it not to.

I raised my fist up to the door, but I left it hovering there in a nervous hesitation. I didn't know what I was doing. Apparently my subconscious decided for me because the next thing I knew, I was hearing the sounds of my knocking.

I bit my lip and immediately retracted my hand. What am I doing here? This was a stupid idea. I shouldn't have come. I turned away and ran my hand through my hair— a nervous habit I had. I was starting to walk away, but I froze when I heard the door open. I was expecting it to be a random stranger that I had accidentally disturbed. I inhaled deeply and spun slowly.

My new friend was standing there with his arm resting on the doorframe above his head. He stared silently at me and I wasn't sure what to do. I couldn't tell where he was looking, obviously, but his head moved slightly up and down and I could tell he was scanning me.

Fuck. I knew I should've gone with something more casual. Not that a sweater isn't casual, but now I have to deal with this. I nervously rubbed my left arm with my right hand and I focused on a spot of concrete. A rather fascinating slab, it was.

"To what do I owe this surprise visit?" His voice was a slap in the face, and I jumped. I looked up at him, breaking my concentration.

"Sorry, Love. Didn't mean to scare you."

I tried to find a response for him, but I wasn't sure myself. So instead, I decided it would be an amazing idea to stare at him as if I didn't speak English. You know, the language I've been speaking my whole life.

"Are you... feeling alright?"

I nodded enthusiastically, overcompensating for my lack of a spoken response.

"Okay... why don't you come in?" he offered. He opened the door a bit more and I made the awkwardly long walk to his door. I paused briefly in front of him, then walked in cautiously. The house was dark and I instantly felt guilty for waking him.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were sleeping," I finally spoke apologetically.

"I wasn't. The guys I'm staying with are." He spoke in a slightly hushed voice, but he didn't feel the need to whisper. I nodded and he gestured downstairs. I followed him to the basement and looked around at the room. It was perfectly set up to live in and it had its own door, bathroom and TV. There was a mini fridge, and it was thoroughly decorated, albeit strangely. There was a large couch that I assumed doubled as a bed. There was also a large, fluffy bean bag in the corner of the room and a pool table at the very back.