Chapter 5

He lifted his mask just enough to drink his coffee without showing his face. I frowned with disappointment and cautiously sipped the coffee.

"Holy FUCK," I exclaimed.

"What?"

"This is very strong."

"Oh, right." He set his coffee on the table, then got up to bring me sugar and cream.

"Thank you."

He nodded and sat down, leaning back in the chair. I examined his laid-back nature, then looked down at my coffee as I stirred it.

"So, mate. D'ya mind tellin' me where we are?" I asked in a horrible, fake British accent.

He almost spit his coffee out and he started laughing.

"That was literally the worst accent I've ever heard."

"What d'ya mean? I think I've got'et."

He continued to laugh at me and I soon joined him. Our laughter died down a bit and I looked into his eyeholes.

"Why do you wear that mask? It'd be nice to actually see your face."

"I've got reasons." He seemed less friendly when talking about himself.

"Will I get to see it?"

"Sure. Sometime."

I nodded contently and looked over at the fireplace, appreciating the warmth radiating from it.

"To answer your question, I used to come here all the time. It's my favorite coffee shop."

"I didn't take you for a coffee shop kind of guy."

"Yeah. I love reading and coffee. Now you know."

"I do too. It's kind of underrated."

He stared at me curiously for a moment. He traced the edge of his coffee cup with his finger as he observed me. I wanted to know what he was thinking because it made me feel very nervous. However, I was just glad to be feeling anything at all.

"So, how'd you meet Doctor Douche?" he finally asked.

"College." I wasn't sure how much of an answer he wanted.

"Come on, give me more details."

"We've been together for a few years, so we met shortly after I started college. He's a bit older than me, but not a lot."

"You love him?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Hmm," he said softly, more to himself than to me. He took another sip of coffee and exuded an odd wisdom. I wanted to get inside his head so badly.

"If you're in university, that makes you how old?"

"I'm 21 as of a couple weeks ago. This is my last year. Oh, and Caden is 25. What about you?"

"23."

"Cool. And what do you do? For, like, work and stuff."

"Hah. Um. That's a complicated question. Ask me again some other time," he replied ominously. I was intrigued, but knew I had to drop it.

"Why'd we come here?" I asked.

"Do you feel better here?"

"Yeah."

"That's why."

I smiled and looked down at my cup. I felt a small chill run throughout my body. It was a good chill, though.