Chapter 25

"What in the hell... is this like Chernobyl?" I whispered to Hayden as we sat at a table in the corner of the library.

"How the fuck would I know?" he retorted.

I rolled my eyes and opened the book, beginning to read. Hayden watched me curiously as I flipped through the pages and skimmed them.

"Oh my god..." I said at full volume.

I was met with aggressive shushing from the library crowd and whispered 'sorry' to everyone.

"What?" Hayden asked quietly.

I slid the book over to him to let him see for himself. I watched his expression morph into confusion as he skimmed the pages. Hayden looked up at me and nodded toward the exit.

I nodded and stopped at the front desk, checking the book out and taking it with me.

Once we were outside and I could finally talk, I started freaking out.

"What the hell?!" I yelled.

"Yeah, that's about the same thing I'm thinking," he answered.

"Of course, there's an evil God, devil thing. I mean, why would there not be?" I asked anxiously as we walked toward the house.

"Try to just stay calm," he said.

"I can't. I mean, what the hell."

"Ask Jack about it," he suggested.

I let my thoughts run wild as we walked back to Jack's house. I hadn't read much, I just skimmed the pages. But based on what I saw, I was confused and a little scared. I wasn't exactly sure where I fit into this, but I was determined to find out.

I opened the door when we arrived and Hayden followed me into the house. Jack was hanging out on the couch and got up to greet us.

"Hey, Love," he said, addressing me first.

"Hey," I smiled as I hugged him.

Jack let me go and looked at Hayden. Hayden looked away uncomfortably and it was the first time I saw him falter.

"Hey, bruv," Jack greeted, attempting to break the awkwardness.

"Hey. Sorry about, uh... you know... saying that about Y/N, I was just trying to provoke you into hitting me," Hayden apologized, looking into Jack's eyes finally.

"No hard feelings. Do it again, though, and you're dead," Jack half-joked.

"Don't worry, I definitely won't," Hayden replied with a laugh.

Jack looked back at me and noticed the book.

"Whatcha got there?" he asked me.

"It's what we found. Come on," I said as I ushered the boys into the living room. Jack and I sat on the couch and Hayden sat on a chair angled toward the couch.

I handed Jack the book and he looked at the cover for a moment before opening it and skimming through the pages the same way we did.

"Mean anything to you?" I asked him.

"Yeah..." he replied, not done looking through the pages yet.

I gave him a moment and glanced at Hayden, who was looking intently at Jack.

Jack closed the book and I looked back at him.

"This... thing. It's what the cult was summoning. I always thought it was just something demonic, I never really paid much attention. But I remember hearing them say this name," he explained.