Chapter 17

When I woke up, Jack was downstairs in the living room, watching TV. I went to join him, but we didn't say anything. He did give me a smile, though. 

I heard someone ring the doorbell, but I was still in my pajamas. Jack got up to go answer it and I watched curiously. When he opened the door, I saw the familiar man I met on my walk. He had his arm above his head, resting on the door frame as he leaned against it, legs crossed. The man didn't look surprised by Jack's appearance. I wasn't sure if Jack knew him. 

"What can I do for ya?" Jack asked in both a friendly and threatening way. Jack was a bit taller than the guy and looked down slightly at him. 

"I'm here for the girl," my new friend replied, skipping the courtesy and getting to the point. 

"Ah, you're the park stranger," Jack sounded a bit cold and dangerous. 

"She told you about that then." He huffed, then chuckled to himself. 

"So the girl," the stranger reminded Jack. 

Jack said nothing, just stared into this man's soul. I came out from my hidden viewing spot, walking up slowly, nervous about being in front of them in my pajamas. 

"Ah, there she is," the man said. 

Jack put his arm out in front of me, keeping me from going too close to the guy. He never took his eyes off of him. The man seemed irritated, but ignored Jack's hostility. 

"Sweetheart, I want you to come with me for a bit," he told me. 

I could feel Jack's anger and he took a step towards the guy, but I grabbed his arm and pulled him back. 

"Jack, it's okay," I reassured him softly. He looked at me briefly, searching my face for signs of danger. The man looked between us and seemed annoyed or impatient. 

"I'd prefer today," the man chimed in. I rolled my eyes at his interruption.

"I'm just gonna go get changed," I told the boys before scurrying upstairs. 

"Can I come in?" the man asked. 

"No, we're gonna stand here and wait for her," Jack replied. 

I tried to get dressed quickly, not wanting to drag out whatever discomfort was happening downstairs. I threw on some clothes and ran back downstairs. 

"All ready," I announced. 

"I'm coming with you, I don't trust this guy," Jack said. 

"No you're not. She needs to do this on her own," the man replied. 

"I don't trust you," Jack repeated, colder this time. 

"You're going to have to. She's safe with me, I'm just trying to help."

Jack looked hesitantly between me and him. I turned my back to the stranger, facing Jack completely. I looked at him and smiled and nodded, assuring him I would be safe. 

"I'll just be gone for..." I turned around to look at the guy for an answer. 

"One or two hours," he replied. 

I faced Jack again and smiled. 

'If not, track me,' I mouthed to just Jack. He gave me a faint smile, to show he understood. 

"Alright, let's finally get this show on the road," the stranger said, pushing himself off the doorway and walking away, expecting me to follow. 

* * * * 

We had been walking for about 5 minutes and neither of us had spoken. 

"Soo...?" I said with a tone of impatience.