Chapter 29

Jack and I followed Ben out into the living room where the group was more or less where we had left them. 

"Finally, you're back," Jeff remarked as he noted our presence. 

"You miss me that much?" Jack teased. 

"Well, I didn't make you come here just to hide away the whole time," Jeff responded. 

Jeff seemed a bit more calm than he was when I had run into him in the hall. I wasn't sure if it was because of what Jack had done or something else. 

"We're gonna order pizza. What kind do you like, Y/N?" Clockwork asked. 

"Oh, I like pretty much everything."

"Alrighty, I'm gonna go get that started," she answered. 

Clockwork stood up, pulled out her phone, and walked out of the room as she started the ordering process. 

"Oh, Jack, Slender wanted to talk to you," Ben remembered. 

"Oh. What about?" he asked. 

"I dunno," Ben replied. 

"Okay," Jack turned to face me, "I'll be back in a bit, Love. Try to talk to some people, yeah?"

"Okay," I nodded and gave him a small smile.

He left the room in the direction of Slender's office, and I turned back to face the group. Clockwork came back in and sighed. 

"The pizza's gonna take like an hour," she announced, sounding disappointed. 

"But I'm hungryyyyyy," Ben whined. 

"Then go eat a snack or something," Jeff said, annoyed. 

"Fine, I will," Ben replied more aggressively than was needed. 

Ben left the room, leaving just me, Clockwork, Jeff, Laughing Jack, and Toby. Clockwork's phone rang and she groaned. She checked it and gasped a bit. 

"Oh, God, I need to take this," she said excitedly as she scurried out of the room. 

"That's probably her g-girl," Toby remarked. 

"She has a girlfriend?" I asked. 

"No, she's just interested in h-her," he answered. 

"Aw, cute," I smiled. 

"Someone get me when the pizza's here," Laughing Jack said. 

He stood and left without another word. 

"Welp," I said as I looked at Jeff and Toby. 

I shifted my weight back and forth a couple of times, feeling slightly uncomfortable being around strangers. Toby seemed nice, but I still felt out of my element. He seemed to sense my discomfort as he spoke. 

"Hoodie's p-probably awake if you want to go talk to him," he told me.

I nodded and gave him a gracious smile before heading upstairs. Once I was at the top of the stairs, I took a moment to appreciate how big and beautiful the mansion was. I hadn't really noticed it the first time I came up because of how nervous I was. The hallway had extremely tall ceilings with large archways. Between the arches, multiple small, crystal chandeliers gave off a warm glow. On the wall under each arch, there were marble pillars that reached up to the ceiling. I ran my hand along the smooth, cold surface and smiled a bit. The floors were some hard, marble surface, and I imagined how satisfying high heels would sound on them. I couldn't believe that a house like this existed, as it seemed like it could be some kind of fancy museum.