Chapter 28

Everyone was standing in the living room, talking to the boy I had just saved. Jack came up behind me and moved my hair to one side of my shoulder. He leaned forward and left a kiss on my neck.

"Thank you for saving him, Love," he whispered.

I spun around to face him and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I put my hands on his chest and looked up at him.

"It would've been pretty bitchy of me to just let him die," I responded.

He chuckled a little and played with a strand of my hair.

"Well, it meant a lot to me," he said softly.

I smiled and turned behind me to look at Hoodie. He smiled shyly and gave me a small wave. I turned back to Jack and saw him smiling.

"I think he wants to officially meet you," he told me.

I nodded and Jack released me from his grasp. I walked up to the crowd of people and looked at the two newer boys.

"Hi, Y/N. Um, thanks again for saving me. I'm–" he started.

"Hoodie," I finished for him.

He nodded and I looked at his friend standing next to him.

"And you're Masky?" I asked.

"I guess our reputation precedes us," Masky answered.

"I heard them talking about you two and just guessed," I answered.

"You guessed right. I need to go lay down, but come find me later and we can chat?" Hoodie suggested.

I nodded and he and Masky both ventured off upstairs. I turned back to everyone else and they were already getting settled back on the floor.

"You snagged yourself an angel, Jack? I'm jealous," Clockwork noted with a smile.

"Yeah, she's definitely something," he replied as he looked at me and smiled.

I felt butterflies surge up through my stomach and Jack winked at me. I felt myself smiling like a schoolgirl but I didn't care.

"God, you two are disgusting," I heard Jeff chime in.

"You're just jealous, Jeff," Clockwork answered.

I was impressed by her ability to handle him without getting herself killed.

"Of what? Feelings gross me out," Jeff retorted.

Clockwork rolled her eyes and Jeff whipped out a knife and started playing with it. I looked away uncomfortably and Jack sat back down on the couch. He pulled me onto the couch next to him and I just started to get comfortable when I felt someone else's presence in the room. I turned my head and saw an incredibly tall man in a suit. He had black tentacles behind him and extremely long arms. His skin was pale white and it appeared that he had no facial features. I jumped when I saw him and Jack put his arms around me to calm me down.

"It's okay. He's not as scary as he looks," Jack whispered to me.

I nodded but wasn't able to peel my eyes away from him. He was definitely the strangest person I had seen here so far. My ears were filled with the sound of static and when he spoke, it sounded like it was coming from inside my head.

"I heard Hoodie was injured," he said.

"He was. She saved him," Ben said as he pointed to me.

The man turned his head toward me and I gulped.

"Uh, hi, Sir," I said nervously.

He walked toward me and Jack and crouched down until he was at my eye level. I felt my heart rate speed up and my breathing became very quick and shallow. He examined me for a moment without saying anything.