Chapter 6 - Welcome to Hogwarts!

As soon as they got out of their boats, all of the students piled up and followed Hagrid and he led them to the door of Hogwarts. He knocked at the door, and Professor Minnie opened the door. He told her a little something that Eva didn't hear, but she was very excited to know what was going on. Minnie was now standing in front of everyone. Her eyes landed on Eve, who gave her a wide smile.

"Now, the start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. Do good things, and you will gain points, the opposite, and you will lose points. Now, the house with most points at the end of the year, wins the House Cup. It is a great honor. Now all of you, form a line in alphabetical order and follow me.", she instructed.

All of the students shuffled and took their places in the line. McGonagall led the way to the Sorting Hat. Eve looked around and saw the sky from the Great Hall, and there were loads of students who were sitting and chatting happily. Could this be her new home? As she looked front, she saw a stool, and a hat placed on the stool. Suddenly, the hat started to sing. Eve didn't really pay attention, because she was too busy looking around the castle. And suddenly, she sanpped back to reality.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat  and sit on the to be sorted. Abbot, Aten!"

Aten nervously shifted when he heard his name. He then walked to the stool and sat down. Minnie placed the hat on his head. A few seconds, and then the hat shouted, "HUFFLEPUFF!"

And so it went on. Minnie called people, and they went and sat with the hat on to get to know their houses. Somtimes, it took over a minute to come to a decision, while sometimes it barely touched the head of the person. And now Minerva called out, "Black, Sirius." If Aten shifted when he heard his name, Sirius was absolutely shaking. He nervously went and sat on the stool. After a minute or so, the hat yelled "GRYFFINDOR!" And now, Sirius was shaking with excitement instead of fear as he ran towards the table. Next it was Lily, who was in Gryffindor. And then it was Eve's turn.

"Holmes, Evangeline!"

"Professor, Eva or Eve, please!" Eva whined before she went to the stool. Minnie gave her a tight smile before she placed the hat on her head. And suddenly,

"Aah! Difficult one, you see." she heard.

"I'm sorry, is this all going on in my head? Can anyone else hear this hat talking?" Eve thought.

"I'm afraid not, dear. This all going through your head. Now, let's see. Very smart, yes, plenty of knowledge. Very ambitious too. Pirate, eh?" Eve now turned white.

"You know, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't have to go through my memories. It really is very embarrassing for me, you know. Just put me in a house and get it over with. Ever heard of privacy, hat?"

"Ah, plenty of courage. Just what I expected. And no regard for rules- "

"Hey! I do have regard for the rules that are good rules. Just not some of the wishy-washy nonsense that schools give out as rules. And currently, you are disregarding the rule that gives me my right to privacy, HAT, and I'm getting angry by the minute, and God help me I will-"

"Well, let me get this over with for you then. Better be - "

"GRYFFINDOR!!," the hat yelled for everyone to hear.

And Eve got rid of the hat quickly and joined Sirius at the table. James, Peter, Marlene, Remus all followed them. However, Snape was put into Slytherin. He gave Lily and Eve a sad smile as he walked over to Slytherin table.

And finally they all were allowed to eat. Dumbledore snapped his fingers and the golden plates in front of them began filling up with delicious food. Eve had to pick her options very carefully. Mind, there were many options for people who didn't eat meat, but still she had to be careful. Remus watched her as she picked out things that did not have meat in them. Eve turned to watch him staring at her and her plate, and then he gave her a questioning look. "Oh, don't look at me like that, Remus. I'm just slightly allergic to meat. See, nobody is perfect!" she told him, clearly pointing out the fact that the boy had scars and he looked ill. "Oi! I'm perfect! What are you talking about?" Sirius interrupted. Eve continued, ignoring Sirius, "Not all kinds of meat, though.. I'm just being extra careful, ya know?" Remus just nodded and went back to talking with the others, and so did Eve, noticing that Remus had just avoided her indirect question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know many people LOVE meat, and cannot live without it, but I couldn't just not bring a flaw in her. And I thought that the meat allergy thing was just the most noticeable thing.

Also, I had loads of fun writing the Sorting Hat part. Evie really is a bold one, don't you think?