Chapter 36 - Who Am I?

Voldemort raised his wand, and yelled his 2nd favorite spell, "CRUCIO!" Eve dogded it by bringing forward a trash can that was on the street. It crumpled into crushed metal and fell down.

"CRUCIO!" He yelled again, and she dodged it again. "Stupefy!" she yelled, and he deflected it.

"Stupid girl," he said as his robes surrounded the environment and pushing away everything that she could use to protect herself. He laughed, his eyes manic.

"Avada Kedavra," he said smoothly, and Eve retaliated. "Expelliarmus!" she said, the first spell that came to her mind. The green light and red light met in the middle, both fighting to gain dominance. Eve knew her end was nearing. She remembered Dumbledore saying, "No spell can block the Killing Curse, but a simple disarming or stunning spell can hold it off for a little long while you make your death wish.

Eve remembered the poem that she had read once in the Library. Her favourite poem. Her favourite lines.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light,"

she muttered, as the green light came closer to her by the second, and the red light pushed the green a bit farther, and she decided to use it as her motivation until the MACUSA came to the street to confirm that Voldemort was in the US.

She couldn't die for nothing. She kept repeating the lines over and over again, and it gave her motivation. Eve remembered Sirius, she remembered James, Remus, Peter and her Mum and Dad. She remembered Sirius' soft lips, how they had felt against her own. She remembered Sherlock, how he had laughed with her, his face full of emotion. She remembered Mycroft, his simple smile and the care that he always had for his little sister. She remembered Lily and Marlene making fun of her. She remembered Alice's comforting words, and the blue daisies that she had placed into Eve's hair as she plaited it. She raged against the dying of the light, a single tear running down her cheek.

The red light was losing, the distance was getting shorter by the minute as the green got longer. She knew she couldn't hold it any longer. The green light touched Eve's wand, and everything went blank.

She looked around. Voldemort was on the ground, his wand a few inches away from him. Was she dead? She looked at herself. Her hand looked pretty opaque to her. But what did seem very unusual was that Voldemort was staring at her like he'd just seen death itself.  Eve looked at her own reflection on a nearby jewelery store.

In her place, stood a beautiful woman, perhaps a fairy, for she was flying, with wings of smoke and eyes of terror. In her hand she held a wand. Her wand, to be exact. She couldn't believe her own eyes as the wings dissapeared into the air as she landed on the ground.

But Voldemort would never back down. He picked up the wand near him, and she readied herself. "Avada Kedavra!" he shouted, his voice laced with anger. Eve raised her wand, and a black jet of light that had golden glowing edges burst out of it. She couldn't believe her own eyes. She didn't even know what she was doing, but whatever it was had been working. She felt Voldemort's wand crack a bit, but she heard more cracking sounds around the road as well. The MACUSA Aurors had just Apparated to the place. He took one look at everyone, and Disapparated. The Aurors stood there in place, as Eve took a minute to breathe.

She had just proven herself right. Voldemort was here, and he wasn't going to stop.

-------------------------------------------------

Eve found herself back at Hogwarts that night. She'd come to discuss with Dumbledore about her new found power. She remembered looking at the reflection. The wings of black smoke that held her in the air as she thought she was about to die. The wings of black smoke that saved her life.

"The wings disappeared after it set you down, correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Interesting. Very Interesting. Miss Holmes, do you remember that I taught you about the Dark Arts myself when you were in your sixth year?"

"Yup."

"Well, there was a reason behind that. The Sorting Hat suggested that I teach you both the Dark Arts and pure Magic."

"But why?"

"I believe, that right after the founding of Hogwarts, a prophecy was made to Godric Gryffindor by a very famous Seer. Not much is known about it, but the Seer is said to have told Godric that a Muggleborn will join his school and his house. A devil on the angels' side. A force to be reckoned with. On his death bed, Godric managed to give orders to the Sorting Hat to find the student that was the Death incarnate and put them in his house. And well- here you are." Dumbledore said, and Eve gulped.

"So, I have to kill Voldemort?"

"No," the Sorting Hat spoke this time, "but they will need you. The Saviour."

"And who might that be?"

"Someone who isn't born just yet, I'm afraid. That is all I know." the Hat said, and Eve turned to Dumbledore.

"So what does that mean for me then, Albus?"

"You are here to help the people until the Saviour, whoever they are, is born and defeats the Dark. The Dark being Lord Voldemort, as of the moment."

"What will I tell Sirius?"

"I shall tell him the truth myself."

"Thank you, Albus," Eve said, giving him a small hug. "I'm afraid duty calls. Good night," she said and walked into the fire as she shouted "MACUSA Headquarters!" where she was welcomed back into grand celebration for proving the truth from Medea and Tina.

She smiled at both of them and mingled with them for the night. Tired, she retired home earlier than everyone else, and the next morning she walked into Medea snogging a Veela boy that she'd met at headquarters, Max. She apologized and gave Medea a thumbs up as she closed the door.

-------------------------------------------------

Vote, vote, vote (I'm singing Shake It Off as I'm typing, so everything is going according to the beat)