Chapter 11 - Heart - to - Heart

Right before Christmas dinner:

Eve found Sirius sitting on the couch, all alone. He had a sad smile, and he was looking up at the ceiling. She didn't know what he found interesting about the ceiling, of all things, but decided to talk to him about the bruise on the arm. After all, they were best friends now, right?

"Hey Sirius! Whatcha looking at?"

"Umm... nothing, nothing Evie. Just.. thinking."

"About what?"

"Well, you know, the usual. Just exams."

"Exams?! Sirius Black? Are you kidding me? You of all people never thinks about exams!"

"Well.."

"Hey, you know we're best friends, right?"

"Yeah, of course, I do."

"And you know I care about you, right?"

"You.. do?"

"More than I let out, at least."

"Yeah, I know."

"So, my brother and I have this thing where we talk to each other about our deepest secrets and emotions. We call it the heart - to - heart. So, that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna do a H2H. I'm gonna tell you my deepest secret. I can actually express a lot of emotions, but I tend to suppress them. I care about a lot of people, but I'm actually afraid that I'll lose them if I show them that I care. It's frustrating, really. One moment you see Remus with scars all over his face, but you don't know whether it's the right time to ask him because you're afraid that he might get angry at you for asking about his private matters and you'll lose your friendship with him."

"Hey, it's not like that. I mean Remus, Remus would never let you go. He's a great friend, and you two are inseperable,-"

"I know, Siri, but I can't risk it."

Sirius just fell back into silence. He was now thinking. He wanted to say something, but he was struggling.

"I'm not like my family.", he said.

"Clearly."

"And they don't like it."

"Now you're just stating the obvious."

"I told them about you, and they- they..."

"They did this to you?" She pointed at a bruise that was just a little below his full hand shirt.

Sirius just remained silent and gave a small nod.

"Wait. There's more. This isn't the only one, is it?"

"Well, they didn't like that I ended up in Gryffindor, or that I was friends with Muggleborns or people who were friends with Muggleborns.."

"Oh my god, Sirius. What the hell?"

"Language, Eve" Sirius mimicked Remus with a small smile.

"Oh shut up, will you?" Eve chuckled but her face was still white.

"You're an idiot for covering it all up, you know that?"

"I- I am?"

"Yes, you are, you dumbo! You should have told us! We could have done something about it. Just like we sneaked you out to my home. The next time your parents send you a letter, you don't read it. Do you understand? You take out your wand, and with a swish and flick movement, say Lacarnum Inflamari. Burn it to the ground. It'll help. Oh, also, I have a few ointments and medical stuff that can help with the bruises. They are slow, but they help. Would you like them?"

"Uhmm.."

"Sirius."

"Yeah, yeah. Sure. I'd love them."

"Hey, you shouldn't hide this from anyone. I won't tell the others, but they should probably know too. They're your best friends too, you know. They care about you. More than you know. We can be of some help. We might not be able to save you from your parents, but there's always some sort of compensation, right?"

"Yeah, I'll find a way over the rest of the break.", Sirius said hesitantly.

"Don't worry. We don't judge you. We only judge others. Like Snape." She said with a smirk.

"Oh, Snivellus, that greasy gi-" Sirius started with a smile.

"Language, Siri." Eve interrupted and went to get the ointments for her friend.

Sirius grinned widely. He now had friends. Best friends. And he wasn't at a dinner party at the Blacks' house. He was at a Muggleborn best friend's house and he was having dinner with 3 Grinchs and 6 Christmas lovers. His family would be so ashamed of him. And Sirius was having the best Christmas of all his life already.