Chapter 40 - Lily Potter

Today was the day. December the 22nd. The last day of Autumn in the US and the start of the winter season. Today, Lily Evans was going to become Lily Potter.

"Hey, you ready?" Eve's voice came, as Lily looked at the white dress in the mirror. "Yeah," Lily said, and the door opened.

"You look so beautiful. If Potter wasn't marrying you right now, I would. Lucky bastard," Marlene told her.

Eve looked at Lily proudly. She was so excited to see her best friend finally marry her other best friend.

"Hey! I have a tonic to calm your nerves! I forgot to tell you about this-" Eve said, flexing her ring. Lily gasped, and Marlene choked on her drink. Alice was squeling with delight, "You got enagaged!" Eve nodded.

"Oh my god, that idiot finally dropped on one knee? Not that he didn't. He did that every single time he took you to Hogsmeade, remember?" Marlene asked, and all of them laughed, nodding their heads.

"Well, that's great news, both of you. Glad to know I'm not going to be the only married one now," Alice said with a smile.

"You know, I'm glad you're a bridesmaid, Alice. Who knows what we'd have done without your dad's ice cream?" Eve said, "James was insistent that we buy ice cream for the wedding, because he'd dreamed of having ice cream at his own wedding. He told that he would run away from the marriage if there wasn't any."

-------------------------------------------------

"Will you look at that? The most handsome man in the whole room," Eve whispered to Sirius, and he grinned at her. "Why thank you," Eve chuckled, "you don't look so bad yourself," he said, and Eve slapped his shoulder.

"I can't wait to meet you as Mrs. Black, Holmes," Sirius said.

"Who said I'm changing surnames?" Eve laughed, and Sirius gave her a look, but he was still smiling at her.

-------------------------------------------------

Lily came in escorted by her father. She was followed by Alice, Marlene, a few flower girls and page boys. Sirius nudged James in the chest and he looked up at Lily, his nervousness flowing away.

"Welcome family and friends. We are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the marriage of James Potter and Lily Evans." Remus said. "Lily and James have spent years getting to know each other, and we now bear witness to what their relationship has become. Today, they will affirm this bond formally and publicly."

"Do you, James Potter, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to live together in matrimony, to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Do you Lily Evans, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Lily Evans, you know me better than anyone else in this world and somehow  you still manage to love me. You are my one true love. There is still a part of me today that cannot believe that I'm the one who gets to marry you. You have made me the happiest man on the world today by agreeing to share your life with me. I promise to cherish and respect you. I promise to care for you and protect you. I promise to comfort you and encourage you. I promise to be with you for all of eternity. I promise to continue to make your friends jealous of our amazing relationship."

"James Potter, if anyone had told me on this very same day 7 years ago that I would marry, I would have thought that they had had too much Firewhiskey to drink. But here we are today. The first time I even agreed to a date with you was at the end of our 6th year, when you were too nervous to play Quidditch. But, I never realized that I actually loved until I became closer to you. You are kind, smart, you are ready to sacrifice yourself for anyone, even if you do not truly love them. You value life, and you respect all in your heart. James, I take you as you are, loving who you are now and who you are yet to become. I promise to listen to you and learn from you, to support you and accept your support. And I will celebrate your triumphs and mourn your losses as though they were my own. I will love you and have faith in your love for me, through all our years and all that life may bring us. James Potter, you're the French fries to my chocolate shake. I love you," Lily said.

After the vows, James and Lily exchanged rings, and Remus pronounced them as lawfully wedded husband and wife.

"You may kiss the bride."

Eve saw her fiance keep a straight face trying not to cry so hard. She chuckled and said, "Our children have grown up. Look at them."

That day, Sirius Black made at least a 100 deer puns.

"Deerly beloved family and friends, it is a great honor for me to deliver this speech to the two purest harts that I know. If I'd told you a few years ago that James and Lily would be married some day, you'd have said that I was barking mad. Even though their life has gone through some trials and they will do so in the future as well, and won't let themselves fall into a rut.

Ever since they'd met, James had been so fawned of Lily, and had declared his undying love for her by our 2nd year at school, and so has Lily, but she took her own sweet time to realise it. But, if you'd asked me, no one in their right sense thought they would attend James' and Lily's wedding. But, my money on James' not marrying Lily was not to be, and after some very painful moments of realisation, we have arrived at this happy ocassion. At the end of the day, I'm sure that when people tell the tails of these two individuals, it will be ones of true and pure love. Ladies and gentlemen, please raise your glasses to Mr. and Mrs. Potter-"

-------------------------------------------------

VOTE FOR LILY AND JAMES POTTER!