Chapter 47

Andrea

It feels like I've only just fallen asleep when Giada's arm tightens around me. I groan with my eyes still shut and start rubbing some circles on her back. It's really not the time to wake up yet. My limbs still feel heavy with sleep and my head is comfortably fuzzy.

Fuck, I just want this to last for a while. Stay in this comfortable place somewhere between consciousness and sleep.

But Giada starts twitching above me, a soft whimper escaping her. The sound goes straight to my heart and my eyes shoot open. As expected, it's still dark in the room, not a sliver of light shining through the curtains.

Giada groans as if she were in pain while her nails dig into my side. All the while I can't help but think how much this sucks. I don't want Giada to live through whatever bad moment she's already had to go through once.

I hate that she has hurtful memories at all. The last thing she needs is to relive them.

I tighten my arms around her and pull her up on my body so her face is right next to mine. Placing one hand at the back of her head and the other on her back, I hug her close, hoping it helps.

"Shh, Baby, I got you," I whisper against the side of her head. Another pained noise escapes the girl, this time more quietly. Her arm relaxes, her body melts against mine and before I know it, she's sleeping peacefully again.

I stay awake for what feels like hours, just holding Giada while I lose myself in thoughts.

I run my knuckles along the sides of her arms, just enjoying the feeling of her smooth skin.

I rub circles on her back, wondering what memory she just got back.

Then my fingers gently brush over the scarred flesh on her shoulder. I think back to Luciano which in turn makes me think about other things I need to do for work.

The time I got to spend with Giada was really refreshing but I have been neglecting work. I put Leo in charge which means things should be fine but I can't let him take care of everything alone. That's not fair.

I sigh and reach for my phone on the nightstand as subtly as possible. It's four am. That's almost a reasonable time to get up, I guess. I've had earlier mornings, to be honest.

Besides, my mind is already spinning with all the things I have to check in about with Leo and it's getting hard to stay still. I know there's no way I could go back to sleep so, with one last kiss on Giada's forehead, I gently slip out from beneath her.

After putting on my slacks and shirt, I quickly exit my room before I accidentally wake Giada. Then I get ready in a guest bathroom.

At four-thirty, I'm standing in front of Leo's room, waiting for him to open the damn door. I've been pounding on it for a good few minutes.

Finally, a really grumpy, even sleepier-looking Leo rips the door open. "What the hell is wrong with you?" he snaps, his voice gruff.

"Good morning to you too, dear friend," I reply drily.

"Enzo, I swear to god I'll kill you if this isn't an emergency. I went to sleep about fifty minutes ago!" he snaps, making me raise an eyebrow. I'm trying hard to bite back a smile since my friend's already angry but it's so hard.

I know damn well why he only just went to sleep, judging by the giant hickey at the side of his neck. Leo's not one to hide any marks his dates or hook-ups leave him since they're barely visible on his dark skin but tonight whoever he took back here did a really good job.

"It is an emergency," I reply calmly. I'd really like some applause for my self-control right now because my expression is still natural.

Meanwhile, my friend's smooths over, the slightest bit of worry lighting in those dark eyes of his. "What's up? Everything okay with Giada?"

"Yes, don't worry. But I still need you to come with me," I reply. I'm not cruel enough to let him believe something's wrong with his friend if that's what they are again, only to get him out of his room and ready this early.

"Why?" he asks suspiciously. Should've known he'd be complicated.

"I need you to catch me up on everything I've missed."

"You're joking! You woke me up, forced me out of bed where one of the most beautiful members of the female species was sleeping in my arms because your insomniac-ass wants to work?" he blows out a breath looking about ready to hit me.

But before I can reply, a new voice interrupts us. This one's sweeter and a lot quieter. "Leo?" she asks softly. I only catch Leo's face softening before he turns toward the woman.

"Sorry, Nyla, didn't mean to wake you. I have to help my shitface of a friend with work but I'll be back soon. Just go back to sleep, okay? Don't worry, you're still getting that promised breakfast," his own voice grows more gentle as he speaks to her.

I can hear her steps come closer and Leo fully turns his back towards me. He leans down and they share a quick kiss before she hurries off again, all without me getting a glimpse at the woman that has my friend grinning like a dumbass when he looks at me again.

When I raise a suggestive eyebrow, he simply punches me in the shoulder. "Man, you owe me so fucking much for this. I'll be with you in a minute." Then he closes his door in my face and I make my way to my office.

————————
Bit of a filler chapter, hope y'all don't mind but I was missing Leo:))

Also, I finally finished the planning for the rest of this book and I am really excitedd!!

Have a great weekend, all of u<3