Chapter 37

Chapter 37

As soon as I step out of the matchbox of a bathroom, I'm immediately confronted with Charlie and Joey standing next to each other with their arms crossed and scowls plastered on their faces.

"You've got some explaining to do." Charlie growled. Joey snatched my arm and began tugging me through the tiny corridor into one of the two back rooms that were just big enough to fit a mini futon, a coffee table, and two beanbags. There was a window in this room and I saw the faint silhouette of the San Francisco getting father and farther away.

In that moment I contemplated jumping out the window and running away to never return, but I figured Gilbert would probably shackle me to the roof if I tried.

Joey closed the door behind us and shoved me down on the futon, taking his place on one of the bean bags beside Charlie. The look on both of their faces was one that could send any mobster running for the hills.

I gulped.

"We've been noticing some strange behavior from you since you left the hospital towards Jordan. You don't talk about him any more, and whenever someone would so much as mention the little raccoon, you would change the subject. What the heck happened? I mean I know he's one of the biggest dummy's on the planet, but I thought you guys we're going to get married and have tons of gross little humans running around."

My mouth practically fell open. "You thought Jordan and I were going to have kids? You must be out of your mind. Joey, tell me you weren't on the crazy train with her."

"Look, we've been shipping Jam since the beginning of time, I'm even sure Gilbert wants to see y'all get together," Joey shrugged. "But you, my friend, are getting off topic!"

"Fine! Fine!" I sighed, not wanting to relive the embarrassment and hurt. "He was there when I woke up and he told me he loved me. I told him I loved him back. Everything was sunshine and rainbows until I overheard him talking to another girl on the phone, saying that he couldn't wait to get out of the hospital to come see her. I then promptly revoked my 'I love you', and slammed the door in his face."

Although I was playing it off, I still felt the sting his words has left me.

Charlie has leaned forward in the beanbag, become more intrigued. "How do you know it was another girl?"

I flashed back to the moment in the sterile hospital hallway.

"Okay baby, I can't wait to see your face tonight. I love you, bye."

"Trust me, he called her baby and said 'I love you', if it wasn't one of his chew toys then who could it have been?"

"You never know, it could be his mom, a sister, a niece?" Joey piped in, stroking is chin.

I was beginning to grow frustrated. How are they going to sit here and defend him? Did they not know he is capable of breaking someone's heart?

"Guys, you aren't seriously making excuses for him are you?" I snapped.

Charlie's face softened. "No, of course not. We're just trying to see if there are any other reason's why he would do this. It just doesn't make sense-"

"Yes, it does make sense. That's what he does Charlie, he pulls you in with the good looks and the sweet talk, and then boom. He snaps your soul like a stick over his knee. He's done it plenty of times before and I'm done."

"Well then why were you holding his hand today?" Joey said.

I scratched the back of my head. This one is going to be a little bit harder to explain.

"Well you see, a couple months ago in the middle of filming the movie, our demon of a PR decided to create a contract to make me and Jordan a public couple for a couple months. It was just for the attention because everyone and their grandmother wanted to see us together. She said it would make the movie sell better and help add on a couple dates for the tour."

I waited for the two slaps that were coming my way, but I was greeted with cackles loud enough to uproot the bus.

"Oh my God! This is the best this ever." Charlie said in between laughing fits.

"I can't believe you two are stuck together. This is juicer than an episode of The Fosters." Joey giggled.

I rolled my eyes at the two five year-olds I called my best friends.

"Laugh any harder and Michael Jackson will turn over in his grave." I said in annoyance. I didn't think my eternal suffering was very funny. In fact, I thought it was the exact opposite.