Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Karma swept blush over my cheeks and added a dab of highlighter to my face before looking back at her work with a proud look. I wanted to hug her right on the spot. There was no one on this bus that could top this twenty-something year-olds sweetness or her pastel colored hair.

"You look-"

"Perfect." Jordan said in a breathy tone. Karma stepped out of the way to reveal him behind her in a breath-taking white button down, black slacks, and an untied tie hanging loosely around his neck. His hair was combed over into a sleek style and he wore a pair of nice black dress shoes. He looked too good for words. It was almost like he was purposely outdoing himself each time I saw him.

"I'm going to go touch up Charlie's makeup, she's probably already rubbed it off by now." Karma blushed. She quickly stepped out of Jordan's way and exited the tiny back room, which we now called the "torture chamber", and closed the door behind her.

Now that Jordan and I were completely alone, I couldn't help but think that the new name for the room was fitting.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I said quietly, trying to hide the slight shake of my voice. He looked down at himself and picked up his tie from his chest before letting it fall.

"You would think a genius like me would know how to tie a tie, right?" He laughed, and I couldn't fight the smile that crept up on my lips. Instinctually, I walked over to him until I was standing at a close enough proximity to wrap my hands around the silky black fabric around his neck.

I began going to work on the tie, thinking about all the times I would do this for my father before he left for a business trip.

"How do you know how to do this?" He murmured. I glance up at him for a second and saw him looking down at me intensely with those icy orbs. I immediately decided that that wasn't the best idea and went back to fixing his tie.

"I always used to tie my Dad's tie for him before he would leave for business. It was like our special thing. I didn't have to say I love you, I could just tie his tie and he would know." I said, almost finished with it.

"Does this mean you love me now?" He said, and I could practically hear the smirk in his tone. I rolled my eyes as I tightened it around his neck and stood back.

"How does it look?" He asked innocently.

"It looks good, but I have to say I resisted the urge to choke you." I laughed lightly and he smiled like he had just won the lottery.

Ouch. One more of those smiles and I wasn't going to make it through the night.

We were currently in South Dakota, attending the 45th Annual Elite Performance Gala. It was a really ritzy event, full of glasses of champagne and talk about people's poodles. I had never even heard of the ball until a couple days before, and I can't believe it's been going on for this long. How many years in a row could old rich actors get together in the Midwest to discuss the latest in gossip?

I was wearing a strapless floor length lavender gown that hugged at the waist. Since no one would be seeing my shoes anyways, I was wearing my one and only pair of black high-tops, and Karma did my hair in beachy waves.

I'm having trouble picturing myself surviving the night. Let's just say I'm not the classiest wine glass in the cabinet. I mean, I fought Karma to the death to allow me to wear my converse. This whole "going out in public thing" wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

I began running my hands over my dress, barley able to sit still.

"Hey, you look nervous. Everything's going to be okay," Jordan smiled comfortingly. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath through my nose. He was right, there was no need to freak out. This night would be over before I knew it.